$13

It was Friday night before I knew it. Tonight everyone was coming over Jersey’s house for a little get together. It was supposed to be a celebration for me and my so-called freedom. Everyone was excited about it, but for some reason Jersey was more excited than anyone. She left work early because she needed to get things ‘prepared.’ She left Gavin and I and told Alfie to just take us back to her place when our shift was over. I was curious about what the hell the girl had planned or what she had to do so damn bad that she left work three hours early.

The parlor didn’t feel right without Jersey. There was no one to strike up a crazy conversation or to annoy the hell out of me. I only had Jade to rely on, and she wasn’t paying me any mind. Each day, she and Alfie were getting closer and closer. She paid more attention to him than to anyone else. It was cute but annoying because I didn’t have anyone to talk to. When work was finally over, Gavin and I piled into Alfie’s car. “Do you guys know why the hell Jersey left work so early,” I asked after we were on the road for a bit.

“So she can set up for your party, silly,” Alfie said with a mischievous grin on his face. I don’t know why but I didn’t trust his answer. Jersey was down to something, and Alfie was most likely apart of it, too. “Why are you so worried about her leaving work early, anyways? Do you miss her? Aw, that’s so cute, Finley! You miss your Jersey, don’t you?!” Gavin cackled along with Alfie as I sat in the backseat with my arms crossed.

“It’s okay, Finley. We’ll be back at the penthouse in about five minutes and then you can see your Jersey,” Gavin said. “Don’t cry. We’re going to get you to her.” I kicked the back of Gavin’s seat, and he groaned as he grabbed his back.

“Shut up,” I hissed at not only him but Alfie, too. I didn’t miss Jersey. I was just curious about what the hell was going on. Last time I checked buying alcohol so you and your friends can celebrate doesn’t take three hours, especially not for a small get together. The rest of the ride went by pretty silently. Every so often Alfie or Gavin would laugh to themselves but I ignored them. They were both being complete tools.

***

“Damn, that smells good,” Holly said as she sniffed the air. She walked over towards the kitchen to the pan of brownies I had baked. She stared down at the pan as she licked her lips.

“I bet it does, Chubs,” I replied before pushing her away from the brownies so I could open up the stove to grab another pan. “You think two pans is enough, right? It better be. It took me fucking forever to make these things. Do you know how hard it is to make my special brownies,” I asked as I took the second pan of brownies and set it on the stovetop.

“You’re going to stop calling me chubs,” Holly replied as she walked back over to the living room. “You know I’ve lost weight since I’ve been going to the gym.”

“Yeah, where? I sure as hell don’t see it.” Holly was about to curse me out but I was saved by the doorbell. The girl just flicked me off and walked over to answer the door. I could see where she had lost a bit of weight, but I wouldn’t dare tell her that because I loved pissing her off. Enrique walked into the penthouse with Francisco, they both came bearing two liquor bottles each. “Dude, we’re getting so fucked up tonight. Bring them over!”

Enrique and Francisco walked over towards the kitchen and sat the bottles down on the counter. “It reeks in here, man,” Francisco said as he looked over at my brownies. “All I smell is fucking dank.” I smirked and I nodded my head proudly. “Wait, are those…?” I raised a brow at Francisco, and a smile spread across his face. “Bro, your pot brownies are the fucking best.” Both Enrique and Francisco started for the pan, but I got in their way.

“Not yet. Wait until everyone gets here, Finley gets the first piece because you motherfuckers are greedy. She’s never gotten high before but I’m getting her high tonight.”