Part 4

"Mack I don't wanna do anything, I just wanna sleep." I groaned. She didn't listen and pulled up to the 24 hr ice cream place and parked.
"I'm gonna run in and get ice cream, to
celebrate our amazing day! It's a party!" She cheered and climbed out of the car. I stayed in the passenger seat, I knew it would take energy to get my night medications and get ready for bed so I needed to save my energy. I pulled out my phone and started messing ours with it. I pulled up the picture of Mackenzie, Panic! At The Disco, and I. I don't know what it was about those pictures but they made me smile. The people in the picture are so important to me, Panic! music means so much to me. Before I knew it Mack was back climbing into the driver's seat and passing a white bag with two ice cream in it onto my lap. We drove back in comfortable silence to my house, light music was playing in the background off the radio. I fell asleep in Mack's car, I just couldn't keep my eyes open.
"Hey Hey Aub, wake up." She cooed, rubbing my arm. I opened my eyes and rubbed my face and nodded. Mack comes around to my side of the car to help me of the car, I am beyond dizzy after waking up and falling wouldn't be fun. She slipped my backpack on and held the ice cream in one hand and supported me in the other. God, I am so lucky for Mackenzie Grace. We walked into the house and Pluto quickly found his place at my side.
"Hey baby, we are home. How was your night?" I asked he nuzzled my nose into my leg. I took that as an "I missed you."
"Where ya wanna go Aub?" Mack asked, I pointed toward the kitchen table and she helped me over.
"Can you grab Pluto's harness?" I asked, she nodded and got it for me.
"Pluto," I called jingling his vest, he walked into and I fastened it up.
"Pluto, guess we are both working late nights tonight?" Mackenzie laughed and sat down across eating her ice cream. She put mine into the fridge so I could eat it tomorrow. Pluto was lying under the table, how he would normally act at a restaurant.
"I don't want to do my night meds, I just want to sleep," I mumbled into my hands, closing my eyes.
"Hm well, I guess it is good your best friend is a nurse and can do it." Mack smiled, she gave me that look. The look that means "they don't fight me on this." I laughed lightly.
"Okay, fine. You know where everything is." I gave in.
"That means you are off for the night them baba." I smiled, Pluto got up and I took off his vest.
"You did so well. Good boy." I loved him, he is the best. Mackenzie got up and clean up her ice cream. She went and grabbed my daily pill organizer, she as well brought my pill crusher, my jejunum tube for my Mickey button with a couple of empty syringes and sterile water. On a good day, I take about 10 medications at night. I don't take my meds orally because I tend to not be able to keep them down so just pushing them into my lower intestine is easier. So what we do is hook up a tube to my feeding button that goes into my lower intestine. We crush up the pills, mix it with sterile water and collect it in a syringe and inject it into my stomach directly after we flush it with just plain sterile water. In the morning I will unhook the tube but at night I leave it because I do tubes feeding at night so I leave it hooked.
"Do we get faster every time we do that? I feel like that was like 5 minutes." Mackenzie laughed, I nodded.
"We do for sure, remember when we started? It would take an hour twice a day to do meds." I chuckled, she agreed. After meds, I checked my blood sugar and took an under-the-tongue sugar pill then took my inhaler. Mack cleaned up the medical stuff well I went and got into pj's, took off my makeup, and brushed my teeth. I went into my room and started to get ready for my Lactated ringers, which is just saline with electro lights. I grabbed alcohol wipes, a sterile saline syringe, and a Lactated ringers bag.
"Do you want to do it or should I?" I asked Mack, she shrugged.
"I almost said, you hook up this and I'll go get my feed ready forgetting that I need to be here to hook up my PICC." I laughed, Mack laughed too. Brain farts like that keep us laughing. Mack said she would go set up my feed for me so I started hooking up. I brought my IV pole and the things I needed into the bathroom and set up on a paper towel. First I washed my hands and removed my PICC cover. Then I removed my swab cap, plus wiped my line with an alcohol wipe also unclipped my line and pushing the saline in. After I flushed the line with saline to prime it and flush out the heparin I put it before. I dropped the saline into the sink bowl and re-clipped my line then wiped both my line connector again and the fluid's line connecter with alcohol and connected them. When I was done I hung up my bag and unclipped my line. I cleaned up the stuff I had used and went back into the kitchen but now connected to a pole. Mack was shaking up my feed mix, with is basically water and a powdered nutrient formula. First I primed my line with sterile water and after I hooked the clipped line coming from the feed bottle and the exterior I had already hooked up to my button together. Then un-clipping the feed.
"All good for bed?" Mack asked I nodded.
"Are you gonna stay the night or head home?" I questioned, she thought. It was already nearing midnight.
"I really can't, I have a shift. 12 am to 12 pm. Gotta be ready." She sighed, I know Mack gets stressed and worries when I go to bed. She is afraid that my blood sugar with drop and I'll slip into a coma, or that I'll fall in the middle of the night and no one will be around to help me. She afraid of something happening and her not being there to help me.
"Hey, Mack I'll be fine. Go sleep, you deserve it. Go sleep until two hours before your shift. We are good here." I reassured giving her a hug. She said "fine" and put her shoes on, grabbing her keys.
"Aub, call me if anything happens. Text me when you get in bed and when you wake up. I love you, thank you for tonight." She gave me a hug being careful of all the tubes.
"Thank you for everything tonight. It was truly amazing. I love you too and I'll text you." I said as she walked out the front door. She got in her car and waved as she drove away.
"Pluto! Come here, boy." I called through the house and soon he came barreling in.
"Wanna go get into bed?" I asked, he started off to my bedroom and I followed hook up to my poles. I carful climbed into bed and got comfy with everything.
MACK MD.😷: Going to bed, good night!
I texted Mackenzie a goodnight message and got soon went to bed with my pup at my feet.