chapter nine

That next morning, I end up sleeping in - which makes sense, considering I was talking to Secret Guy till about two in the morning. He asked me if I wanted to go to Sirina's party with him tonight, to which I said, Hell yes, and meant it very, very much.

I'm antsy as I hop out of the shower and try to comb through my hair. If I do anything with it once it's dried, it'll go crazy, so my only choice is to get it when it's wet. (This is why I have a perpetual bed head.) I want to look nice for him, for Secret Guy.

Am I going to have a boyfriend after today?

I haven't dated anyone since Edward - or before him, for that matter. And I never really had any interest in anything romantic before, but Secret Guy has me so excited. I wish I could teleport to my locker like Night Crawler or something. (Though that would still take a while. Why can't I just disapparate?)

It's so crazy to me. The thought of having a boyfriend. But, here is this guy who's apparently really into me, and he seems to be really sincere, and I seriously just can't take it. I want him. Again: Am I a Wanter now?

I have to drop Ben off at school (we have to turn around so he can grab his freaking Ninjago box), and by the time I'm finally able to transcend the parking lot traffic, it's 7:54. I have less than twenty minutes to meet Secret Guy and get to class.

With my car parked stupidly far from the doors, I burst into the school and speed-walk towards my locker as quickly as possible.

And there he is.

Josiah. Josiah Richmond is standing at my locker.

I think I might be shaking as I walk over to my locker. Over to him.

Secret Guy. Josiah Richmond . . . is Secret Guy.

"Nick," he says to me, smiling uneasily as I stop, "I--"

"It's you," I say, eyes wide.

An all-too-familiar frame comes into view, and Josiah moves so that David, carrying a plastic bag and a poster board, can get to his locker. His eyes dart between the two of us. "Hey, Nick," he says.

"Hey, David," I say, turning my shoulder to him. He's always butting into my business. He acts like he gets it, when he can't possibly. No one understands everything.

"So, about your secret Cupid—"

"I got it, David," I snap, finally fed up with him always trying to be the centre of everything. "I don't need you to be here right now." Or ever.

He shrugs, his eyes sad. I think of when I thanked him yesterday. I've never told him off like this, either – not in the twelve-plus years I've known him. He just turns around and leaves, and I feel like I can finally focus on what's important.

I fix my eyes on Josiah, heart thudding. "I'm so sorry for not realizing it sooner. Seriously, I feel like an idiot."

"What?" Josiah says, confused. "What do you mean?"

My laugh sounds more uneasy than I'd like it to. "Um, aren't you my secret admirer?" It's the most upfront thing I've ever said in my life, and I'm terrified.

"I'm really sorry, Nick." He looks so sincere, and I just can't. "I'm not."

I nod, then open my locker and shove all my things in. I don't even take out what I need - my phone is in my pocket, and I have homeroom anyway.

I can't believe it. I really can't.

"Did you—"

"I have to go," I tell him quietly. "Sorry, Josiah."