Chapter Fourty

As we reached the Great Hall, Lee started jumping to try and find Krum amongst the crowd. I rolled my eyes at his endeavour, and decided to instead track down Fleur.

It didn't take me long to see the pale blue silk that they wore, and I determinedly made my way over there.
"Fleur!" I called, waving to the girl. She glanced at me for a second, before her face dawned with realisation.
"Emily?" She asked, her french accent thicker than I remembered, my name sounding more like Amélie than it's actual pronunciation.
"Oui" I smiled, accepting the hug she offered.
"It is good to see you again, non?"
"I'm just glad you're alright" I smiled.
"Thanks to you" Fleur insisted "we would 'ave panicked for certain"
"Your English is a little better than last time" I complemented, earning a proud grin from her.
"Why, merci. When I 'eard we were coming to 'Ogwarts I thought I must learn some more" she stated, happy that her hard work had been realised.

I then turned to the rest of the students, waving at the ones I recognised.
"Pardon moi, uh - Emily - where do you suggest we sit?" Adriénne asked politely.
"If you're more comfortable speaking French, I'd say Ravenclaw - there are quite a few who know French" I answered, gesturing for them to follow me.
I walked over to Miles with a grin.
"This is my friend Miles. Miles these are the students from Beaubatons. He can speak French almost fluently" I smiled, and the french students immediately settled around Miles and his friends, "I'll talk to you later Fleur"
I received a thankful nod as response, but before I turned away I caught a smile of awe on Miles face. I sent him a wink to which he returned.

Satisfied, I returned to the Gryffindor table and sat in an empty spot next to Lee.
"Emily! Did you see him? He's here!" Lee squealed excitedly
"Your fanboy is showing" I chuckled, patting Lee's hand.

When all the students had entered the Hall and settled down at their House tables, the staff entered, filing up to the top table and taking their seats

When all the students had entered the Hall and settled down at their House tables, the staff entered, filing up to the top table and taking their seats. Last in line were Professor Dumbledore, Professor Karkaroff, and Madame Maxime. When their headmistress appeared, the pupils from Beauxbatons leapt to their feet.
A few of the Hogwarts students laughed, and I sent glares at the backs of their heads, knowing that they stood up in respect for their headteacher. The Beauxbatons party appeared quite unembarrassed, however, and did not resume their seats until Madame Maxime had sat down on Dumbledore's left-hand side. Dumbledore remained standing, and a silence fell over the Great Hall.

"Good evening, ladies and gentlemen, ghosts and - most particularly - guests," said Dumbledore, beaming around at the foreign students. "I have great pleasure in welcoming you all to Hogwarts. I hope and trust that your stay here will be both comfortable and enjoyable."
"The tournament will be officially opened at the end of the feast," said Dumbledore. "I now invite you all to eat, drink, and make yourselves at home!"
He sat down, and Karkaroff leaned forward at once and engage him in conversation.
The plates in front of them filled with food as usual. The house-elves in the kitchen seemed to have pulled out all the stops; there was a greater variety of dishes in front of them than I had ever seen, including several that were definitely foreign.