10. welcome to the new world

C H A P T E R  10

❛ welcome to the new world ❜

MILO

     'PANTRY'S BACK THERE,' TOMAS CALLED over his shoulder as they entered the cafeteria once again.

Milo looked around with a small frown on his face. The space seemed to have shrunk after standing in the courtyard and feeling the sun on his face again. Looking around now, he could barely believe he had survived here for ten months.

'You never tried to break out of here?' The man they called T-Dog asked the inmates.

'We tried to take the doors off,' Oscar replied. 'But if you make one piep in here, those freaks will line up outside that door, trying to get in.'

'Hey, you coming? I'm sick of waiting back here,' Tomas yelled, leaning against the doorframe of the pantry with his arms crossed over his chest, looking bored with the conversation.

Milo couldn't help but notice how hatchet man, who he now learned was called Rick, placed his hand on his gun before following Tomas into the pantry. He couldn't blame him for not trusting the inmate. He just genuinely hoped his behaviour wouldn't get the rest of them in trouble.

He followed the group into the kitchen and watched as the three men walked into the pantry, their eyes wide at the sight of the shelves stacked with bags of corn, canned beef, canned beans and more.

Daryl turned to look at Tomas. 'That's what ya call a little bit of food?'

'It goes fast,' Tomas shot back, shamelessly lying straight to the bowman's face. 'Now you can have a bag of corn, some beans-'