The Empire Strikes Back

Prompt: The Doctor and Clara both end up in 1980 America right at the premiere of Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back and are extremely confused. Sent in by iron_hulk_084, I hope you all enjoy! (This'll be fluffy...very fluffy. A lot different from the last one, anyways.)

+++++++++

People were lined up all across sidewalks in the U.S., standing, waiting, and itching for the moment when they finally got to see Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back. Adults, children, grandparents, even annoying sisters were lined up. This movie was going to carry on the legendary movie, and it was said to be even better than the first.

+++++++++

"Doctor, for the fifth and final time, I am not going to talk to the TARDIS. Yes, sometimes I plead with her, and sometimes I thank her for saving us, but I'm not about to become you and talk to her about everything," Clara said, as they walked through the corridors. The Doctor whined a little but didn't actually say anything.

Clara smirked a little bit to herself. I won, she thought, flicking up her eyebrows. The Doctor ran ahead of her, reaching the console room long before her.

"Where to today?" she asked him, reaching his side.

"Dunno. We could go anywhere...and since we don't know, lets let the TARDIS pick," he said, smiling.

"Do you not remember the hell we went through last time we let that happen? Or the time after? Or even the time after that?" Clara asked him, laughing a little bit at the memories of them almost dying. She thought it was funny about how she had come so close to dying so often that she was used to it...and she found it amusing.

"Yes, I remember. But she'll get it right eventually."

The conversation ended after two more minutes of bickering and Clara finally giving in. She had to admit, it was fun every time something went wrong. Things going wrong was what had gotten the two of them together in the first place. He was a monk, which had drawn her to him, and then Trenzalore, and then her constantly saving him and vice versa had finally led to their strange friendship-sort-of-in-a-relationship-but-maybe-not-really place that they were currently in. They had kissed before (on the lips and everything) and Clara had seen the Doctor naked on that one Christmas, so they were obviously comfortable around each other.

"Clara, you're missing it!" she heard someone shout, and was taken out of her trance. She knew she needed to stop zoning out every time she started thinking hard.

++++++++

The pair walked out of the blue box and looked around. The first thing they recognized was that they were on earth, and not that far out of their own time. Clara smiled when she saw some of the outfits that were stereotyped as the typical 80's fashion. They were in the 80's, but pretty early. She could see some of the 70's lingering around still.

"Doctor, we've gone to the 80's," she said, laughing.

"Why is that funny?" he asked, remembering the submarine incident.

"Because...it's the 80's. Iconic for bad cars and style sense."

"Doesn't make it funny," he said, grabbing her hand and pulling her down the street.

+++++++

They walked down the streets while Clara pointed out some of the things that had changed. 'That coffee chop wasn't there, oh look, the post office was across the street. Oh! The cinema's still there...'

The Doctor suddenly pulled Clara behind him and pulled out his screwdriver. He waved it around, not really scanning anything in particular, and was mumbling to himself.

"Anything you'd like to share?" she asked.

"If this really is Earth, then why are all of those aliens over there?" he said, pointing his finger over at the long line.

"Doctor..." she trailed off when she saw what he was pointing at. And then, "Those are just people dressed as aliens. See the banner? They're waiting for the new Star Wars movie."

"Star...Wars...?" he tested the words out on his tongue. "What the hell kind of sick movie is that?"

"You know, Princess Leia? Han Solo? Luke Skywalker? Darth Vader? It's a movie where Luke is the hero along with Leia and Han Solo, and they work together to defeat the Empire, which is Darth Vader. It's a pretty good movie," she said.

"Then why is it called Star Wars?"

"They fight different species from different planets, and across galaxies. That kind of stuff."

Clara spent another half hour trying to explain the movie to him, and she eventually gave up. It had been years since she had last watched it and she couldn't remember most of what the Doctor was asking her.

"Why don't we just go home, yeah?" she said, taking his arm and guiding him back towards the TARDIS. The Doctor picked her up and threw her over his shoulder, carrying her into the box instead. He loved doing that to her. She always screeched a little bit and it made him laugh. Plus, it was an excuse for physical contact with Clara. Any time he touched her, little waves of electricity pulsed through him and he had to stop before he did anything rash.

He set her down and took a good look at her. She was beautiful, and that was the problem. Beautiful things always got stolen or broken because no body could leave them alone. So he was determined to not think of her that way again, because if anybody found out he thought about her like that, she was doomed.

++++++++

Review? Vote? Follow? Please? Hope you enjoyed, and I know the update is a little earlier than I normally do them in the day, but that doesn't necessarily mean there will be multiple updates. Please send in those prompts, because they are super important!