chapter 26: crown

The corners of my lips curl up from behind my camera as I find Felix in my viewfinder. Snapping a quick photo, I drop the camera from hiding my face and hold onto the lens with one hand. Felix grins at me from the dance floor, raising his hand to wave at me. I hold in the butterflies in my stomach as I raise my hand, waving weakly his way.

Music is bouncing off the walks of the gymnasium, the heat of the upperclassmen dancing making it ten times warmer. None of it seems to matter though because the atmosphere has everyone high on the beat and unaware. Everything is perfect, from the decorations to the photo booth. Everyone in their own element and for once, I'm wishing I wasn't behind my camera and instead in front of it.

I want to be apart of the event and not documenting it. I never really realized just how disconnected I've made myself from everything because I felt the need to stay in the same cycle. Sure, I can say I've been to every dance, football games, and pep rallies. All the things that make up a high school career but I can't say I experienced any of them.

"Stevie Margaret Alexander, I swear to God," Robyn swears, using my full name as she marches towards me at the corner of the stage with Isla following closely behind. "If you do not put down that damn camera I'm going to tear it from your hands."

"Robyn, it's my job! I can't just abandon it," I argue.

"You're acting like you get paid to do this," she shakes her head and crosses her arms over her chest. "Stevie, I did not spend an hour getting you all hot for you to stand on the sidelines and not be with your date. You promised you would dance!"

"I can dance right here!" I grin enthusiastically as I shake my hips and move to the music. "See? I danced."

"Funny," she rolls her eyes.

"Isn't the whole point of you paying your dues as a freshmen and sophomore is so you can actually enjoy dances as an upperclassman?" Isla questions. "You have a date, Stevie! Felix didn't ask you to come for you to avoid him the whole time."

"I'm not avoiding him."

"Sure, you aren't," she hums out. "Come on! Let the junior photographers handle this. You deserve to have some fun and you don't have to be so in control all the time."

"Guys, I can't! I'm sorry," I frown, exhaling softly. "I have to."

"No, you really don't but fine," Robyn exhales. "Be stubborn."

"Love you too," I smile gently as they leave me to my duties.

They're right. More right than I want to admit because I don't want to face the fact that I've been on edge since Felix's rooftop. I'm still not sure if it's because I'm afraid of what it means, or if it's simply the fact that I don't know how to react to the idea of having someone's heart.

It's alot of pressure.

It's alot to hold.

"Alright, Malibu Heights!" Lena cheerfully talks into the microphone on the stage, calling the attention of everyone as the music fades to a quiet background noise. "It's time we announce the king and queen of our homecoming court."

Cheers abrupt throughout the gym as I move towards the back to get a clean shot of the stage. The two-inch heel of my red sandal clicking against the shiny hardwood floors, leading my path as I found my spot. My thoughts are drowned out when I see Felix among his fellow nominees. So distracted that I'm not even listening when Lena announces the head cheerleader as homecoming queen.

"And now, for our homecoming king," Lena says with just as much enthusiasm in her voice as always, her tone never not cheerful. "And your king is...Felix Montgomery!"