F I F T Y - F O U R

*AUTHOR'S NOTE: WARNING SOME VIOLENCE, LANGUAGE, BLOOD, AND GORE. VIEWER DISCRETION IS ADVISED*

RHYS

"RHYS WAIT!!!" My Uncle roared as my figure retreated

I ignored him and pushed my Wolf faster and faster, dodging in and out between the trees faster than we ever had before.

I had to reach her

We had to save her

I needed her in my arms, in the place I knew that I could protect her from all the bad things in life that want to harm her.

Powerful pounding of the earth and low familiar growls sounded from behind me, alerting me that both my Pack as well as the Matthews siblings and my Uncle had followed.

'SAVE MATE!!! SAVE MATE!!!' My Wolf chanted continuously in our head, increasing his speed to an almost blinding rate.

The moment I caught her sweet scent mixed with the metallic tang of blood, my Wolf lost it and forced our shift.

'MATE DANGER!' My Wolf snarled

'I KNOW!' I snarled right back

A Witch stepped into the middle of our part, mumbling what I assumed to be a spell, and before she could even finish, my Wolf lunged for her and bite her head off.

At this point, we're done playing the civil and dignified Alpha.

We're sick and tired of playing by the rules when it's clear that everyone else is obviously not.

If you step in our way of getting to our Mate, regardless of who your are, we won't hesitate to rip you apart piece by piece.

Consequences be damned

I waited for my Mate for as long as I could comprehend how special Mates were

FLASHBACK

Rhys, 6 Years Old

"Mom, what are Mates?" I asked my Mom as I watched another one of my Pack members introduce him Mate to my Father "And why are they so important?"

My mother, startled by my question, stopped decorating my birthday cake

"Mates?" She asked, coming to pick me up and depositing me on one of the Island chairs "Why do you want to learn about Mates Sweetie?"

"I dunno" I shrugged "Matt kept going on and on about Mates and how he was going to make Mia his Mate one day and since Dad is always introducing us to newly 'Mated' people I wanted to know what that meant"

"You don't need to worry about Mates right now Sweetie" She giggled, ruffling my hair fondly "I'll tell you about them when your older"

I frowned

"I'm going to be the next Alpha" I said matter-of-factly "I think I deserve to know now"

"Deserve to know what?" My father asked, walking into the kitchen and wrapping an arm around my mother

She giggled more

I sat up straighter "I want to know what Mates are"

My father stilled and his face grew serious