Chapter 6

Chapter 6

"The number you have dialed is either unattended or out of coverage area. Please try your call later..."

I grunted, feeling hopeless. Did he memorize my number? How could he know it was me?

Isang bigong tingin ang ibinigay ko sa cellphone bago ko ito ibinaba. I thought about what Sorcha and Rigor told me, that the rumors will die down as time passes by. But it's been a week and I could barely make it through the day without anyone harassing me or calling me out. Even the girls are whispering things behind my back.

"Ikaw ba talaga yun?"

Napasinghap ako at nilingon ang kaklase, nagbabaga ang mga mata. Sick to my stomach, the tip of my tongue is more than ready to lash out at these people who keep on judging me without bothering to know the entire story.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to offend you..." napaatras siya nang makita ang talim ng tingin ko. "It's just... I'm c-curious. I know we're not close, but I just think that... that you're not the type of girl who do that... thing." Napalunok siya, bakas ang takot sa mukha.

I sighed and put my paintbrush down. We are currently having an individual activity for our Fine and Applied Arts. It's my most favorite subject because my blockmates are easy to be with and just usually go off minding their own business.

"Kung hindi ako 'yun, maniniwala ka ba?"

She smiled at me and picked up her own brush. "Of course. Bakit naman hindi?"

Pinag-aralan ko ang mukha niya. She is one of the most quiet here in this subject but most of the boys are pursuing her because of her soft, femine beauty. Makinis, maliit na mukha, at natural na namumalang pisngi, lalo na kapag naiinitan. She is diligent with her studies and hangs out with the right people. With my reputation here at school, I'm surprised she's even talking to me.

Humugot ako ng isang malalim na buntong hininga. From the corner of my eye, I could see two of my female classmates eager to hear the end of our conversation. Ramdam ko ang bawat mapanghusgang mata na nakatitig sa akin, ang mga bulong, at akusasyon kahit na hindi nila isatinig.

"Hindi ako yun." Sa wakas ay nasabi ko.

She simply nodded and went on with her business, not even asking for further explanation. I bit my lower lip and went back to my business too, feeling a little bit at ease. She is the first woman here, aside from Sorcha, who sided me in this time of crisis.

Nang matapos sa klase ay binalak ko nang umuwi. Lingering around the campus won't do me good. Sorcha texted me, cursing that she has to attend another meeting for a group project in one of her major subjects. I can't see her today, so I might as well really go home.

Bumagal ang lakad ko nang makarating sa third floor kung saan parati ang mga seniors. I quickly swept the crowd of faces, eager to find his face but I failed. Nang mapagtantong wala dito ang pakay ay saka ko pa binilisan ang lakad pababa sa hagdan.

"Anakng! Thyron, hindi mo ba talaga titigilan si Sorcha?"

Kaagad akong napahinto nang marinig ang pamilyar na boses. Two male voices are arguing just a few flights from me. Hindi ko na kailangang kumpirmahin na si Rigor nga iyon dahil kilalang-kilala ko na ang boses niya.

"What are you talking about?" si Thyron.

"I saw the two of you making out just outside the men's room earlier! What the hell are you up to?"

"Relax, bro. We're just having fun."

"He's just stingy because Sorcha is friends with the girl he's been hitting with."