44

NORMANI

I can't believe that son of bitch ass baby mother of mine. Who the fuck does she think she is? I was supposed to be living my best life right now with Christopher and my kids and she stopped it cause she was feeling birdy?

"I'm ready to jump to conclusion Chris."

I had to call up my cousin because there are no words.

"She's gonna feel froggy soon enough, definitely being a bitch."

"A bitch made ass bitch, if you will."

"Look cuz, don't even sweat it. She got the stick up her ass."

"Me and you still going out, we not wasting this day over some tit for tat."

"Ooh, we should go ice skating!"

"That sounds good. What time you tryna go?"

"Hmm, like 4?"

There's a ring at the door and I scrunch my face in confusion.

"Hold on Chris, I'm tryna figure out who just rang my bell."

I make my way to the door and when I look out the peephole I'm shocked and have to just let out a laugh. The doorbell rings again followed by rhythmic knocking and I swing the door open, glaring slightly.

"Hi mommy!" The twins say in unison.

Just like a ain't shit bitch, here comes Lauren showing up at my door with my kids, tryna look innocent. I cut my eyes away from her and to the kids, smiling at them.

"I missed you so much, my little babies!!" I say while hugging them.

I bring them inside and just as my hand is on the door to close it, Lauren puts her hand on it to stop me from closing it. I raise my brow and shake my head.

"I know you don't think you bout to come up in here," I say while rolling my eyes.

"We need to talk," She says.

"So what made you bring them back?" I ask sarcastically.

"Don't do that alright? I was out of line," She softly says.

"I know you were, bye now," I say.

She stops me from closing the door again and walks in, closing it behind her.

"We're gonna talk," She says simply.

I return back to my call with my cousin.

"Hey, I'm gonna call you back later."

"Aight, I gotchu."

The call disconnects and I follow her into the bedroom. I keep my attitude intact until I feel it's not necessary.

Lauren looks me in the eyes and sighs, I snap my fingers impatiently for her to speak. She places her hands on my shoulders and sighs again.

"I'm sorry-"

"Let's not do this," I cut her off while chuckling.

"You know how many times we been through this same scenario of us getting hostile and coming back with a sorry?" I add.

She continues to hold onto my shoulders and guides me closer to her.

"I do," She nods.

"So?"

She says, "It's a new day Mani, I want us to stop the bullshit."

I nod my head, "Me too."

"Whatever happens after this, so be it, but we need some common ground," She says.