132 - Soldier's Choice

Levy Scout's Point Of View

I've been in the Tepet army for about twenty years now. Honestly I was going to retire before we hit the summer season, but with a threat like this on our borders I had no choice. Many other retired knights and soldiers have prepared for the impact that is going to hit us, and set up several defense points behind us. They try to use as much of their time as possible to change the environment to their preference. Even if it won't last for long, any time that can be bought is needed.

Then came Headal's peace 'offering'. It is more of an ultimatum, but honestly it is worth it. We cannot last against the army in front of us. We did last against them in the Great War, but back then there was no alliance between the enemies and we had about three or four light magicians on each front.

Any reasonable military tactician can see we will get killed and ravaged if we don't give into the demand, but Lord Tepet is loyal to a fault. Then again, he is the head knight and a Marquess, so he is expected to be completely loyal.

I am simply a scout. I basically get put somewhere hidden in the mountains and then use wind magic to send information to the officers. From up here I have a pretty good view of everything from the keep to the front line, and just from having this advantage I notice things no one else do.

For example: The child of Scorog isn't that brilliant at handling a sword and not that brilliant at footwork either. What he is excellent at, is sensing the flow and timing of everything and everyone around him. There are two reasons he come out alive. The most important one being the bodyguard. The second is his ability to position himself. He tends to position himself in such a way that the number of people that can attack is limited, so that the person attacking has to worry about hitting their friends or so that an attack can be blocked with a quick word to someone in his unit, whereafter he kills the enemy himself.

It's odd. It seems to work though. However, if not for the cutting ability of the sword and the skill of the bodyguard, then he would have been quite severely injured and probably killed. In sword skills I'd say he's average for a knight, but with waaaaaay to many guts. Still, he would lose against our future lord in a one on one fight.

Furthermore, that speed enhancement may look terrifying from down there, but their endurance doesn't go up so they get tired as fast as before. Still, he is an excellent commander. I've noticed some amusing things, like what seems like an extensive range of hand sign gestures and some odd words that frustratingly neither I, nor his knights know. It caused a bit of frustration on the first day.

Even with all of this talking him down, he is still admirable and quite clearly a friend of our future lord. The two joke with each other, argue and care for each other. Our lord even let the child of Scorog borrow his childhood clothes. I have a couple of issues with this, but we are putting that aside for now.

Most of us didn't actually believe the existence of this miracle child until he and the Celeste knights came riding down from the mountains on a glacier. The entrance was worthy of the legend, so was their violent and intimidating attack on the enemy... but most importantly... the healing. That child is a legend in so many ways already. He healed the injured and chased the enemy away, giving us time to rest up before the next fight was to begin. It may just have been the rest of that day, but at the time I saw more than just the Celeste knights pass out from exhaustion and what I guess to be relief.

If not for Lord Tepet himself, then I'm quite sure that most of the Tepet army would support placing Augustus Celeste on the throne. I know for sure that I would. Not just because of his virtues, fame, skills or friendship with our future lord... but also because it might change the way this country works as it is right now.