Chapter Thirty One: The White Knight

Carlyle had heard enough, his whip was raised ready to strike. But as a hand touched his shoulder to stop him the Tigris among the mob all saw the ring of the Prophetigress bared before them. They stopped throwing stones and waited for the Prophetigress to exit the vehicle. They expected to see TyrAnna's face, they braced themselves to feel her rage once again as it was in the days before they were shut out of the wall.

Candillice slowly walked out the Wagon as Carlyle stepped aside, she appeared before a crowd that suddenly became very silent. It was immediately clear to all of them that she was not the much hated TyrAnna but at the same time she bore the ring of the Prophetigress. At first it caused confusion among them.

"Who is that?" One of the Tigris spoke up directing the question to Carlyle.

Carlyle looked to Candillice, she nodded.

"I am proud to present to you our new Prophetigress. . . Princess Candillice!"

Carlyle proclaimed this to the crowd, they heard him and began to process this information. The Tigris spoke about this among themselves.

"Candillice? Was she not locked away in the palace?" "I remember her she visited our town once, she was very small but also very kind!" "The girl that sang at the festival years ago?" "How long has it been?" "We have a new Prophetigress!"

Some whispering began and some back and forth discussions on this fact. Candillice stood before them smiling as the wind blew through the leaves. Everyone felt a special feeling of calm, it was as though their prayers were answered. they dropped their rocks and sticks to come towards her with welcome greetings.

Tafficious, Toido, Rufus and Reegan watched this scene with great tension. However they were quite impressed with how well Candillice handled the situation.

"I gotta say that was pretty brave!" Reegan remarked.

"It had the potential of becoming a riot!" Rufus added.

"Perhaps we should wait to inform Candillice about the White Knight's invitation? Give the people some time with their new Prophetigress!" Tafficious said.

"I'm done with the barrels!" Sam stood up and yelled.

"Lets go check out the river guys!" June yelled.

"Uh yes indeed Juniper and Samuel, might it also be prudent for us to obtain a reading on the water in the river?" Rufus asked.

"Sure thing!" Sam replied and nodded. When they arrived at the river The first thing Sam could think of was fishing, but none of them could see any fish. Sam got to work quickly testing the water.

"It's not perfect but way better than the well!" Sam said.

"Why would they poison the well and not the river?" June asked.

"A fascinating query Juniper and what could that be over there?" Rufus replied and pointed where he noticed something metal in the lake that the river connected into. They all ran to check it out. Toido ran into the water and with his long arms was able to remove it from the bottom of the river. He brought the metalic object back to the shore.

"That looks a bit like what I saw in the back room at the temple!" Sam said.

"Is this how the Grotesques are keeping the fish away from this part of the water? I had no idea that they were that intelligent?" Tafficious said.

"If I may explain this device appears to be more advanced perhaps it is virillian? I believe this tech to be a creature repeller set on a fish setting Mr Tafficious sir," Rufus explained.