Coming Trials

Last Time:

"Excuse me? What do you mean Dumbledore won't be going to trial?" The Minister asked trying to keep his temper in check so he didn't scare the already nervous healer in front of him ...

XXXXXXXXXX

"It's interesting that they found a classroom without windows, but not a place you can call your living quarters. You'd also have to walk across the entire sunlit school just to get to your class." Frank mumbled as he double checked that the shutters were secured and that no light can get through.

Trocar sighed, "Minerva is looking into it, but it will take time and, keep in mind, I've only been here a little over a day. Besides, I'm staying in Eventide until they find a good room ... Ok ... ok, first class in about 600 years ... do I have everything? Will they like me? I don't want to scare anyone." Trocar murmured to himself as he frantically searched his new office and living quarters.

Frank watched the vampire in amusement, "Calm down, Trocar. Cache and I will be there too smooth things over-"

"No offense, but you won't help calm the kids down," Trocar commented pointedly reminding the werewolf that they were in the same boat.

"Oh right." Frank chuckled and slowly frowned as Trocar's anxiety visibility increased with each passing moment. "Trocar, you'll be fine-"

"I've been here a day and everyone has avoided me ... maybe a vampire is too much for them." Trocar pondered sadly.

"Cache stood up for you and Minerva agreed it was worth a shot. You can't back away now. Those kids don't know it, but they need someone like you. Once you have them in your classroom and they get to know you they'll fall head over heels just like I did." Frank said too casually.

Trocar"s eyes flicked over to the werewolf for a split second before finishing packing his case filled with papers for class, "We discussed this-"

"Yeah I remember ... but I think it should be discussed again. So much has changed compared to 10 years ago. Cache and Severus have a possible cure, you were hired as a teacher and Dumbledore ..." Frank passed briefly and smirked as he thought back on something, "So many obstacles are gone and there's a good sign for things to only continue improving in the future."

Trocar sighed, "You of all people should know it won't be that easy to change people. You're past is the prime example of what our kind has had to endure. We can't add to the children when there are so many who are still being hunted."

"I'm also proof that you're protective of kids. Of course, I'm not a child anymore ..." Frank said as he walked up to the vampire, "and while you still treat me like a kid who needs mothering occasionally you haven't looked at me like a kid in years." Frank smiled, making Trocar look away clearly a little flustered. "Now may be the time we've been waiting for ... I'm not going away again no matter how hard you try to push me away."

"Frank ..." Trocar trailed off not sure how to continue.

For years, he tried saving young creatures and to his horror saw less and less each year. The thought of having kids was as terrifying as it was desired. After all, he couldn't imagine bringing life into this world only for it to be cruelly hunted down, but Frank came close to changing his mind. Trocar knew the young werewolf he saved as a cub only left him because the vampire was being torn up by the fears he had and he was relieved. If Frank stayed, he would've been too tempted to resist.

"Why did you come back?" Trocar asked quietly.

"I couldn't keep it up anymore." Frank shrugged, "We should go."

Trocar glanced at the clock, "Right ..." He grabbed his bag, put on his cloak and walked at a human pace to his windowless classroom with Frank following behind him. As he walked through the door and removed his cloak his heart clenched when he saw the students show varying degrees of anxiety when looking at him. The comforting feeling of Cache's smile and the werewolf's hand gently caressing his own helped him steady himself so he could address the class, "I realize this is odd for everyone here. It's strange for me too, but if you want to learn how to survive I can, and will, teach you everything you need to know. I've lived along time and I know how to survive against spells, creatures and many things you probably didn't know, for instance protecting yourself from love potions." Of course, after Lockhart's stunt many people perked up at that. "Are there any questions? Please avoid any questions about today's newspaper. I don't have any details about the former headmaster or the investigation that hasn't already been reported in the Daily Prophet."