Chapter 1

I awoke and glanced at my phone. 6:30am. I groan as I get up and change clothes.

First day of high school, joy.

I grab my bag and my mom drives me there.

I sit in the car, quietly listening to music.

"So Nats, you ready?" My mom began.

I looked at her and her now golden eyes shined with excitement.

"I guess..." I hesitated. "How did your first day start out?"

"You know, just like any other first day of school." She said vaguely.

"You make any new friends right away?" I asked, hoping to get more information out of her.

"Mm." She seemed hesitant. "Not right away, but I did make one best friend, who I still talk to today."

"Aunt Amber, I presume."

"Yep." It was almost like she was glowing with excitement. "Her and I had so much fun together, even after we graduated!"

"Mhm, I'm sure." I crossed my arms.

I do have to admit, mom and Amber do seem close, kind of like sisters. Sometimes I get jealous that I didn't have friends like that in middle school.

Although, mom gloats about how much adventures she's had, but never goes into detail. It's like she's trying to hide something, but she tends to never shut up, so how much could she be hiding?

"Come on Nats, you'll make friends in no time, and be careful." She grinned. "You're so adorable that the boys may come running for you."

"Mom!" I playfully slap her arm, and she laughed.

I sighed and pulled out my phone, it was almost eight o'clock. School would be starting soon.

"Worried about being late?"

"What? No!"

She laughs.

"It's okay, we'll be on time."

I gave a subtle sigh of relief.

I tried to put on a good attitude for my mom, she always seemed to be smiling, and happy. I found that just a little suspicious, but it could just be me.

We arrived at school and my mom dropped me off and waved to me as she drove away. Finally, time away from her. I turned towards the school's entrance. Time to face whatever comes at me.

I walk inside and everyone is already conversing, some turned to look at who was coming inside.

I sighed, and took a piece of paper out of my pocket, which had my locker number and my class schedule on it.

I head towards my locker and begin putting stuff I didn't think I'd need right away inside of it.

"Excuse me?"

I turned and seen a girl standing there. She looked about my age, but was just a little shorter than me. She had long brown hair and blue eyes.

"Yes?" I ask.

"Could you help me get into my locker? It seems to be stuck?"

I turned to face the locker she's standing in front of, and look at it.

"What's your combo?"

She told me and I began to unlock it, but when I pull the door to open it, it stuck.

I banged on it a couple times, and it eventually opened.

"Thank you so much!" She quickly gave me a hug, then proceeded to put her stuff inside.

"What's your name?" I ask, shutting my locker.

"Emi, you?"

"Natsuki, but you can just call me Nats or Nat."

"Nice to meet you."

I nodded. "So what's your first class?"

"Umm, hold on let me look." She glanced down at her paper. "Algebra." She said in disgust.

"Me too! Let's go together." I said excitedly.

Honestly, algebra bores me, but I am still good at math, so it shouldn't matter.

We head to the classroom together when a bunch of kids are just staring at us.

"Hey look, loser's got a friend."

I turned and looked. I knew nobody here, so I knew they weren't talking about me.

"Look at her friend though, she's cute."

"Tom, would you shut up? They can hear us."

"Dude, don't be so harsh on Tom. You were just like this last year."

"Some people never change."

"Just like Emi over there."

"She's obviously changed, it's just your opinion that hasn't."

I sighed. "Let's go, and ignore them." I walked faster inside the classroom and sat in the very back.

The ones making jokes about Emi went up to the front, snickering as they passed us.

I sighed and grabbed my notebook out of my bag as the teacher walked in.

"Good morning class." She greeted, with a dreadful sigh. "Today I want to get to know all of you, before we start. Starting up at the front here, state your name and a fun fact about yourself."

I zoned out for half of it, until I heard Emi's voice.

"My name is Emi, and I love to write."

I then realized it was my turn and suddenly everyone turns towards me.

"My name is Natsuki and I enjoy drawing."

"What do you draw?"

"Can I see some of your art?"

"Can you draw me."

I just sat there, and even the teacher peaked interest with me.

Why me, though? Why do I suddenly have all attention on me?

Emi turned towards me and smiled.

"Yes?" I laughed.

"I have an idea, we can discuss it later."

"Okay."

"Hey, I have a question." Some guy walked up to me and squatted on the floor, leaning on my desk. "Were your eyes naturally purple, because they are so pretty."

Mom was right, I'm so cute that the guys are already hitting on me, but I really just don't want to date. I snickered. But that doesn't mean I can't play along.

"Well, yes, they're natural, how else could they be any color?"

He shrugged. "So your name Natsuki?"

I nodded. "And you are..?"

"Riley."

"Nice. So um, what else do you want?" I glanced up at the front and seen the teacher was just sitting at her desk, doing work, while everyone else was socializing. I also happened to notice that some kids were looking back towards us.

Way to be sly. I shook my head.

"Just thought we could be friends, ya'know?"

Hm yeah... okay.

I hear murmuring in the front. "Is he seriously trying to be first? I already called dibs."

The fuck? I'm not just some toy to call dibs on.