Chapter 7

Once they were safe Alyson looked at the pup in her arms.

"You found a pup?!" Mason asked trotting over to Alyson.

"Yeah he's the only survivor," Alyson said darkly.

"What's his name going to be?" Mason asks.

"I dunno yet I was thinking something like Kai. What do you think?" Alyson asks the pup.

"You know in Navajo it means willow tree," Collin says.

"And those are to symbolize the moon," Hayden says.

"How fitting, then. Huh, Kai?" Alyson asks the pup in her arms.

"I think he'll be a great member of the pack," Dustin says surprising everyone.

"Yeah! He'll have Alyson to baby him and us to teach him how to be a wolf!" Mason says. The party chuckles.

"I'm going straight home, I'll see you guys whenever I see you!" Alyson says rushing home.

"We'll meet you there after we change back," Dustin says.

"Gotcha," Alyson says rushing home. She puts the pup in her backpack as she climbs up the tree and into her room. She gently puts Kai on her bed and leaps to her phone to research how to make him something to eat. She finds an article on a wildlife support page to use 2 cups of goat milk, 2 eggs, 1 cup plain yoghurt and a tablespoon of Karo Syrup. Luckily her family had weird taste in milk. She carefully trotted down the stairs and prayed she could still find one of their baby bottles. She made the nasty concoction and heated it up. She then quickly went back upstairs and searched the many boxes of stuff in there. She sighed in relief as she found a bottle for newborn babies. She put the food in it and lightly squeezed the tip of the bottle to make sure the thick formula came out.

She'd finished just in time as Kai started to squeal in hunger. Alyson picked the pup and allowed him to find the nipple, he clamped down on it and started to suck on it happily. Alyson sighed in relief.

The boys came up just then and swung open her door.

"How is he?" Mason asks petting Kai softly.

"He seems fine for now, the formula I found doesn't seem to be making him sick. I'll have to go into town tomorrow and get a mini-fridge for this stuff, get more of the supplies, and more baby bottles," Alyson says as Kai finishes the bottle. Alyson releases a loud yawn.

"What are we gonna do about the Skinwalkers?" Alyson asks.

"First you aren't doing anything about it, we're going to ask the elders when we get home. You're going to sleep and take care of Kai," Hayden said. This rubbed Alyson the wrong way,

"What do you mean I'm not going to do anything? I want to help! Those things murdered the pack! I'm not just gonna sit back and let you all handle this!" Alyson argued.

"You can't help Alyson! You're just a human!" Hayden said making Alyson flinch. Hayden's tone made it seem like an insult to be human. Her expression drops. The atmosphere changes.

"Yeah, I guess you're right I am just a human after all," Alyson says her words empty. Hayden's eyes soften.

"That's not what I meant," Hayden says moving closer to Alyson.

"Don't bother, go home and speak with your elders. I'll just stay away and be my just human self," Alyson says turning away from the four boys.

"I think we should leave Hayden," Mason says grabbing his brother's shoulder.