Cool Kids

Halloween was 2 days away.

It seemed all of Hawkins was preparing, every house had decorations, the kids were rambling about their costumes, the candy aisles in the store were nearly empty.

And then there was that party. (Y/n) was invited of course. Almost everyone at the school was. She, however, decided not to go. She couldn't.

Walking to school, she came across three boys on bikes, parked just outside the middle school as if waiting for someone.

"There's no way Will's mom is going to let him come trick or treating with us alone. Jonathan's coming too." Said the curly haired boy.

They quieted down as (y/n) walked past. The curly haired boy openly stared, and was hit on the shoulder by one of his friends.

(Y/n) smiled and shook her head, approaching them.

"Hi. I'm (y/n)."

They all just stared at her with wide curious eyes. They didn't know what to say.

"What are your names?" (Y/n) continued on, trying to get one of them to speak.

"Uh, I'm Mike. This is Dustin and Lucas. You're the new girl, right?"

(Y/n) nodded. "So I'm known in the middle school too? Sweet."

"My sister Nancy mentioned you a couple times. She likes your style." Mike said. Lucas and Dustin only stared on.

"Nancy Wheeler? Yeah, she's a sweet girl. Well I have to go now. It was nice meeting you all." (Y/n) extended her hand for a handshake, and Mike was the one to shake her hand.

(Y/n) walked away, feeling pretty normal. For a moment she forgot why she was really in Hawkins. For a moment she was only a new girl saying hello to some kids.

As she reached the main doors of the high school, a large hand coming from behind her pushed the door open, holding it for her. She turned to see Billy smiling down at her.

"Thank you." She said as she turned around and walked through.

"Woah woah woah woah, wait up." Billy said, following her.

(Y/n) was pretty used to this by now. She no longer yells at him, but now sometimes ignores him, sasses him and just finds him plain annoying. "Don't you have some cheerleader to screw in the broom closet?"

"Not till 12:30." Billy laughed.

(Y/n) rolled her eyes.

"I'm joking. Are you going to the party on Halloween?"

"No. I have to do homework."

"Come on, don't be such a square."

(Y/n) reached her locker and opened it, putting her bag inside. She grabbed her copy of The Great Gatsby, her notebook and a pen. The sucky thing about this situation is that she and Billy had the same first period, so there was no way of shaking this off. She just had to make the best of it. "And what the hell are you gonna be, Billy, an asshole in black?" She asked as she slammed her locker shut.

Billy thought about it. "That sounds like a plan."

(Y/n) rolled her eyes and smiled at some girls walking down the hall who just said hi to her. In the beginning, people seemed pretty hesitant to talk to her. But when she slowly started to open up and talk to people, she soon became pretty popular. But as a kind person, not a preppy asshole like the rest of the popular kids. Except for Steve of course.

Oh, Steve Harrington.

He was always so nice to (y/n). He seemed to want to get close to her, become a real friend, but she never let him. She didn't have any close friends. According to her, she had no friends. Only acquaintances. But that damned Harrington did steal a laugh or two from her now and then.