Chapter 33- Back

"Thanks." Marinette blushed as Adrien opened the door for her. Nathalie was busy talking to a police officer standing by the gate.

"I do not want to see any paparazzi here." She said sternly. Marinette ducker her head quickly, staring at the ground. It felt like it was her fault the Agrestes had to take such drastic measures. After today, who knows what would happen? What if Gabriel decided she wasn't worth the problems she was causing and told her she couldn't stay in his home anymore?

But that wouldn't happen, right? She may not like how he treats his son, but she knew that for the most part he was a man of his word.

"Welcome home, M. Adrien and Mlle. Marinette." Aria greeted them at the doorway but was surprised to see the bluenette slink past her, face hidden.

"Your hair-" She frowned when she noticed the braid was no longer in but hid the disappointment in her eyes with a compliment.

"Your hair looks nice down, Marinette."

The girl turned around and made the briefest eye contact with Aria.

"Thank you."

Walking to the staircase, clutching her bag in her hands, she felt Adrien's presence close behind her. It reminded her of how close he was when she'd fallen in the shower earlier that week. They agreed to forget it, but every so often when they're together in his house, the embarrassing memory would pop up in her head. Marinette twitched when she saw Adrien's hand grab onto the handrail behind hers. It was noticeable, and Aria seemed to tense out of the corner of her eye.

"I'm sorry," Marinette stated, before rushing up the stairs.

"W-Wait! Mlle. Marinette!" The maid pulled up the bottom of her apron and prepared to rush up the stairs, but remembered her place. Her place as the maid.

"Marinette?" Adrien called, his cheeks turning red.

Why did she do that?

But he didn't know that it hurt her just as much as it hurt him when she pulled herself away. She couldn't stand to be around him and risk his reputation.

.·:*¨¨* ≈☆≈ *¨¨*:·.

Rushing into the room she was staying in, Marinette pulled down her dress right away, desperate to get out of the clothes she was wearing. Pulling on her normal outfit, the pink jeans, and floral t-shirt, she took a moment to look at herself in the mirror. Not having the effort to put her hair in it's normal pigtails, she grabbed purse off the bed and made her way to the door.

Time to get Tikki back.

Swinging the door open, she almost collided right into Aria, who's arm was raised as if she was about to knock.

"Oh! Mlle. Marinette, I-I'm sorry to d-disturb you."

Marinette blinked. "It's fine, I was just... leaving."

"But dinner is early today-"

"In sorry, I have to go," Marinette murmured, slipping past the frazzled woman.

"M-Marinette! Wait!" The woman crossed her normal boundaries and grabbed onto Marinette's arm, pulling her hand back immediately.