Chapter 19

Alyson woke-up to a light buzzing in her head and a bright empty room. Well almost empty, her father sat slumped in the chair Hayden had been in.

"Dad?" Alyson asks yawning lightly. He doesn't seem to hear her. He was always such a heavy sleeper.

The door is suddenly thrown open, Andrew and Nick walk in and freeze upon seeing her awake. They look at each other as if trying to figure out what to do.

"What's up, guys?" Alyson asks a yawn passing her lips again.

"We just got out of class and thought we'd check on you," Andrew says. Out of all her siblings, she was always the closest to Andrew, though he was rarely home since he was so involved in his college life.

"Oh, thanks. The doctor says I'll be out today as soon as they do a final examination then I can go home," Alyson says smiling at her siblings.

"Are you really, okay? It looked like you got hurt really bad. Dad seemed worried for you before you were taken away but they ambulance," Nick says.

"I guess it looked worse than it actually was," Alyson says shrugging lightly.

"That and you heal freakily fast," Andrew says ruffling his sister's hair.

"Nick, could you go get her nurse and tell her Alyson's awake," Andrew orders. Nick nodded and leaves and Alyson could swear she heard him sigh with relief.

"Alyson, I want you to answer me honestly when I ask you this understood?" Andrew says in his big brother voice.

"Of course."

"Did you really fall from that tree?" he says his eyes searching her own.

"Well, the day before I fell down from the tree I fell down a hillside and hurt my shoulder, so when I put my weight on my shoulder it didn't hold and I fell. I know I could've caught myself but for some reason, I didn't bother. I just felt so...so numb," Alyson says looking up at her brother's sharp blue eyes.

"And that boy Hayden wasn't involved?" Andrew asks.

"Hayden? No, he wasn't involved. He asked me to show him and his family around the forest and when he came to get me, he found me I suppose," Alyson says lying was second nature to her now. Andrew pulled her in.

"You scared the shit out of me, Aly," Andrew says softly. Alyson stiffened at the nickname, he hadn't called her that since before Oliva was born. They used to call themselves the Double A's because together they would bring their energy into full bloom. Whenever Nick was too invested in a book Alyson and Andrew wouldn't play together since her sisters were too snooty, and her younger brothers were too young. Alyson was a happy medium.

"I'm sorry, Andy," She says enjoying her brother's warmth.

"It's okay as long as you don't go fallen out of trees on the regular," Andrew says.

"Trust me I had enough of that when I was young. I'm a pro now." Andrew gives a hearty laugh at that.

"Some pro, you nearly died," he says.

"Did not! You all are overreacting," Alyson says laughing.

"I'm supposed to overreact I'm your older brother, speaking of which. This Hayden boy, what is he to you?"

"He's... He's...I dunno I thought he was a friend...then I saw him as something more....but now I'm not so sure," Alyson says chuckling dryly.

"I think you should think about it more, he seems to think of you more than just a friend," He says making air quotes around just a friend.