Chapter 19: Appetite

The next few weeks flew by rather quickly. It seemed all of Grace's professors were piling on the assignments. She spent most of her time in the library or in the Gryffindor common room doing her homework. Although most of the students hated the large amount of work, Grace took it as a blessing. After all, it was keeping her mind from dwelling on the terrible things that had happened just weeks before.

Grace tried her hardest to keep to herself. It seemed to be working, too, since she hadn't been bothered by Ryan in quite some time. Noah wasn't even trying to get on her good side anymore, giving up after many futile attempts. She supposed he was just respecting that she needed to be alone for a bit to figure things out. Sometimes, though, she couldn't help the feeling of longing that entered the pit of her stomach every time she caught a glimpse of him in the corridors or the Great Hall.

Grace was drawn to him, even after all the things that had happened between them. When her mind allowed her to, she did a lot of thinking about the two of them. Noah did risk his life to save her, among a million other things.

She was truly conflicted. Her gut told her not to trust him, or anybody, really. She tried not to blame herself. The traumatic experiences she endured left her with little room for faith in another person. The other half of Grace, however, wanted Noah to be in her life again. Something about their bond was so real and true and safe. That was all she wanted.

When Grace woke up one Saturday morning with the sun streaming through the window, she knew that it was the perfect day to talk to Noah. The bright, but chilly day set her confidence ablaze. She wanted more than anything to mend their relationship.

She threw on a sweater and a pair of jeans before running a brush through her long, brown hair. She took a deep breath and exited the Gryffindor common room.

Grace strolled through the corridor, eagerly walking towards the Great Hall for breakfast. Her appetite seemed to be doing much better, considering she was now able to at least think about food without wanting to throw up.

As she continued, her heart began to race. Grace could hear Noah's voice just around the corner. Before he could even finish turning into the corridor, Grace called for him.

"Noah!" she hollered with a smile as the boy rounded the corner. "I'm so happy to see you. There's something I want to-"

Grace stopped dead in her tracks at the sight before her. Her eyes traveled down Noah's arm until they landed on his hand. His fingers were interlocked with someone else's. Grace's gaze shifted onto the tall, blonde girl with a Slytherin scarf around her neck.

"Grace?"

"Hmm?" the Gryffindor girl replied, finally bringing her eyes up to meet Noah's.

"I asked what you were going to say..." he trailed off, a look of confusion and concern etched on his face. "Is everything alright, Grace?"

Grace swallowed hard, nodding quickly. Oh, Merlin, she was so stupid. What did she think? Noah was just going to wait around for her to be sane again?

"I'm fine," Grace replied instantly, biting the inside of her cheek.

"Good, I'm glad to hear that," Noah responded sincerely. He was so confused why she was talking to him so freely. Just a few weeks ago it seemed like they would never get back the relationship they had. Noah had given up trying to prove himself to Grace. Nothing ever worked. He was starting to move on. "This is Rachel, my-"

"Girlfriend," finished the blonde girl. She stuck out her hand, waiting for Grace to shake it. Noah glanced at Rachel out of the corner of his eye. They hadn't really labeled their relationship as something yet. She seemed to be a little eager. The word flowed from her mouth too easily.

Grace slowly brought her hand out in front of her, shaking the Slytherin girl's hand tensely.

Rachel almost immediately broke the connection and turned to Noah, saying, "Can we please go get some breakfast? I'm starving." Grace watched as the girl practically clung to his shoulder. She was such a-

Woah, woah, woah. Why the hell did Grace care? Noah could do whatever he wanted. It wasn't like Noah and Grace were ever in a romantic relationship. Merlin, they barely got to level of friends, right?

"I'll see you around, Grace," Noah added before being pulled away by Rachel.

Grace's eyes followed the couple as they walked down the corridor and entered the Great Hall. She turned around and began walking back to the Gryffindor tower.

Whatever hunger was there before had left completely. Grace was full. The feeling of jealousy that entered the pit of her stomach left no room for anything else.