Chapter 13

It's 5 in the afternoon now. Laura is in her own company, sitting in her office staring at nothing in particular.

She's having a hard time believing that Jared did all those only to tell everyone that she's irresponsible.

In the meeting it felt like Laura was back to her high school. In the parking lot. Being shouted at, insulted at and judged.

It took her so many years. To straighten her back without fearing that her neck'll break. To learn to stand up for herself.

Mostly, it took her many years to change herself into a much better version. To be someone who makes her parents hearts swell with pride.

To bring some life into the shell that she was before.

But Jared is Jared after all. He didn't have a problem before to ruin her. He doesn't now. Maybe this is it. This is the reason why he has done all those.

Maybe he only wants to make her miserable just like in the past. He had even brought her dad at the meeting. So that everyone including her dad could know that she's not good enough.

A tear rolls down from Laura's eyes. She wipes her eyes with the back of her hand.

Why can't just people leave her alone? Why do they always have to make her feel like that she's not enough?

But it doesn't matter anymore, does it? She's not a weak teen age girl anymore. She is strong now.

And she's gonna make Jared taste his own medicine. She hadn't said anything before because she wasn't able to.

But now it's not that case. And Jared will understand that in a tad bit hard way.

Laura's train of thoughts stop as someone knocks at the door.

Grace comes inside with Laura's expresso. It's the 6th one so far till now.

'Here is your coffee. You have a video call with Mr. Xiao Nai in a few minutes.' Grace says as she places Laura's coffee in front of Laura.

'Thank you.' Laura says without breaking her gaze on her laptop.

Grace is looking like she wants to say something but then she decides against it and take a seat opposite of Laura.

Laura can feel Grace's gaze on her as she finishes the video call with Mr. Xiao Nai. Although Jared managed the situation still Laura wanted to talk and apologize to Mr. Xiao Nai.

'Is there something you wanna say?' Laura asks Grace after shutting her laptop.

'I'm so sorry.' Grace blurted out.

Laura furrows her eye brows.

'What are you apologizing for?'

'It's all my fault. Because of me you got shouted at the meeting.' Grace says in the most guilty tone.

Laura becomes so dumbstruck at Grace's words that before she can give a reply Grace starts talking again.

'I was the one who was irresponsible. I lack at my work. I neglected my job. I should've checked your emails. I only have access to your emails so that I can notify you if something is important. Yet I didn't.'

This time Laura is fast to give her reply.

'Grace it's not like that. You're overreacting.'

Grace still isn't convinced.

'I'm not. If only I had checked your emails yesterday then none of this would've happened. I'm so ashamed of myself.'

Laura mentally groans. She couldn't even comfort herself and now Grace is the one in need of comfort.