16

The sound of small feet running in my direction makes me pause my reading as I tilt my head to look at the door.

As expected, the door bursts open and Darren makes a cute dramatic entry by sliding against the floor with the help of his socks covered feet. I almost smile as he slips but immediately regains his balance.

Am I getting soft now? That's disgusting.

"Get upppppp!" He runs towards me and starts pulling my hand but I don't budge.

"Why?" I look down at him with a raised eyebrow.

"Let's go out in the woods!" He starts jumping up and down and I have to put my hand on his head to keep him still.

"No." This kid is so weird. Why would I go with him in those blasted woods where each time a guard pops up. Stupid werewolves.

"Pleeeeeeeease " He stretches the -e- in a long annoying way making me look at him with narrowed eyes.

"Go with your friends, kid." I wave my hand in dismissive manner before moving my eyes back to the book pages.

I will read them all and find out how to get rid of this mate bond! Maybe I should go and read the books in the library too so that I can know all the information about these hairy creatures.

A slight tug on my leg distracts me as I look down to see Darren looking up at me with sad eyes and pouty lips.

Don't give me that look.

I said, no.

His bottom lip starts to tremble slightly.

Ugh!

"What now?" I close the book with a sigh, giving him a pointed look.

"You're my only fwiend." He whispers in a low voice, looking down at his socks covered feet, making my heart almost melts. Almost.

Putting a finger under his chin, I lift his head up and lean down towards him.

"Why? You don't have other friends?" I ask in a low voice. He shakes his head, no.

"Why?" I look at him in confusion.

This kid is a bundle of bubble and joy. How couldn't he not have friends?

"They don't like me. They push me." Fire enters my body at his confession.

I sometimes forget how kids can be. The parents should keep an eye on how their children are treating others but they turn blind eye on their behavior encouraging them. And when they turn older, they think whatever they're doing is right.

These little minds should be taught to be gentle and kind to others.

I snort mentally, who I am to judge. I'm a hypocrite. I am not gentle or kind and I have face the harsh reality of the world clearly, too.

And even though kids should be taught kindness, they also should be taught how to be strong and depend on themselves too. To stand up for themselves. To stand up for others.

But I don't know where Darren parents are. I don't either see them around here or have meet them. He always seems to be hanging around either me, Emily or his brother.

He seems kind of lonely sometimes. I know the look in his eyes, i am indeed very familiar with that too. The longing.

Sighing heavily, I close the book and look at the tiny person who is practically laying on my leg.

He watches my actions and suddenly his face lits up.

The sadness disappears from his face, replacing with excitement.