Seven

I never thought I'd see the day that a wizard would actually use a circus to show the world what 'freaks' these people and magical creatures are. The minute Tina and I stepped into the tent I wanted to leave. It wasn't like a regular circus. The people crowded around a cage and actually cheered when the ringmaster did nothing but humiliate the people inside. People and magical beings. Most of the acts look like they didn't want to be here. Merlin's beard, one of the little girls from another act looked like she was going to cry before spitting out acidic vomit.

I tried looking around the crowd for Credence but I couldn't find him anywhere. I looked around with worry. Grindelwald's followers could be here and spot him. I want to find him before they do. And Grindelwald would try to persuade Credence to join him in his crazy crusade. I don't want my best friend anywhere near that nutjob.

"Next, in our little show of freaks and oddities," the ringleader said as a woman stepped out of the entrance, "I present to you a Maledictus." I gave Tina a confused look while the crowd cheered. She motioned me to keep looking around. "Once trapped in the jungles of Indonesia, she is the carrier of a blood curse. Such Underbeings are destined through the course of their lives to turn permanently into beasts."

"Ohh!" the crowd gasp. The girl walked into the middle of the cage with her head hung low. I can't stand this anymore. The guy is treating her like she's some kind of property.

I grabbed Tina's arm. "Teen, we've got to do something," I whispered.

"I know, but we can't," she whispered back. "Not unless he's endangering people."

"Look at her," the ringmaster told the crowd. "So beautiful. Yes. So desirable. But soon, she will be trapped forever in a very different body." The girl started to look around the crowd. "Every night when she sleeps, mesdames et messieurs," her eyes scanned the crowd until they landed on one spot. I followed her gaze and looked over. My mouth flew open and I wanted to smile. Credence is here at the back corner of the room watching her, "she is forced to become..."

The guy raised his arms. The crowd started to laugh at him. He crinkled his brows in confusion before turning around and looked at the girl. I could see the steam coming out of his ears.

I grabbed Tina's arm and started to drag her out of the crowd and towards. "I found him," I said. Maybe if Credence sees us in the front then maybe he'll get the message that something is wrong. He needs to know that Grindelwald is hunting him down.

"She is forced to become..." the ringleader trailed off as he glared at the girl. I looked towards Credence. His eyes scanned everywhere until they landed on me. He blinked a few times before his mouth flew open. "She is forced to become..."

Credence and I snapped out of our stares when the ringmaster banged his cane on the cage. The girl's eyes turned dark as she bent backward. The audience started to gasp when her arms circled around each other as she transformed into this snake. My mouth flew open as she slithered herself out of her dress. This is not right. She should be home with her family not be paraded around in some cage like an animal. If only Newt was here so he could stop this. He would let her go and help her find a place. Ah, stop thinking about Newt!

"Over time, she will not be able to transform back," the ringmaster continued. If that was the case then why would he still make her transform? "She will be forever trapped in the body of a snake."

The girl hissed at the ringmaster. Suddenly, she jumped up and bit into the guy's neck. The guy deserved it, to be honest. The audience started to gasp as these bat-like creatures started to fly towards us. Tina grabbed my arm and apparated us to the outside.

My eyes widen as I tried to yank her back in. "No, no, no. Credence is -" I turned around and saw Credence coming out of the tent with the girl. I let Tina go and started going after them. "Credence!" I pushed my way through the crowd. Credence stopped and turned around. He saw me coming towards him and he tried to come for me. "Credence! Cred -"

I stopped and slid on my butt when this giant lion-like creature stopped in front of me. I'm trying to remember from the book. I think it's called a Zouwu. Yeah, it stopped in front of me and screeched before it leaped over me and attacked one of the guys. My eyes widen as Tina rushed over and yanked me up.

"You stay by my side," Tina said.

I nodded as I looked around. I couldn't find Credence anywhere. Where did he go? Did the girl pull him away? Where is he? I grabbed Tina's arm and continued the way I came.

"Credence!" I called out. I tried to find him or the Maledictus.

Tina grabbed my arm. "Alina, he's gone."

"Gone? What do you mean he's gone?" I snapped. I shook my head. "He - He can't be gone. I just saw him here. He was actually running towards me." My chest started to pound. "He - He was running..."

Tina grabbed my shoulders. "Oh, no. It's not another panic attack."

I shook my head as I took deep breathes. "No, I'm fine. I'm good. It's just..." I sighed. "Credence didn't want me to come with him because he wanted to find his mother on his own. Now, we're here looking for him before someone else does. I just -"

Tina nodded in understanding. "You just want to find him before he gets hurt." I gave Tina a small nod. "We're going to find him, Alina."

How? The only lead we've got is gone. Credence could be anywhere. He might not even be in Paris now. Ok, maybe he still is, but where? Where the hell is my best friend?

Tina suddenly pulled me closer to her while looking ahead. I turned to see what she was looking at. There was a man at the end of the street just looking at us. He motioned his head for us to follow him and didn't wait before he started walking. Tina and I gave each other a suspicious look. Who the hell is this guy? What does he want?

Tina made the decision for the both of us and followed the guy.