Chapter Thirty-Two

Chapter Thirty-Two

Ezra's POV

There are a lot of things I want to tell Olivia.

But instead I drink.   

I clung to her, keeping my arm around her shoulders as I knew she was uncomfortable here. I don't know why I was forcing her here with me. It's none of her business.

I never planned to attend the party, I knew it was just another opportunity for the students of Trinity to suck up to me like they always did. They all always fucking did.

A lot of people would assume I was the partying type. That I enjoyed getting drunk and having a new woman in my bed every night. I used to try to convince myself that was true, that they were right.

Now, I realize, that maybe that rich asshole stereotype was overused.

I may be rich, and I may be an asshole, but I am no fucking stereotype.

For a moment, I got caught up in the idea of attending a party with not a group of people obsessing over me, but with one person who genuinely went because they wanted to go with me, and not my status. I like to be around people, I never cared for drinking alone, it just leaves you with a multitude of empty bottles, and a lifetime of horrors only cheap whiskey is strong enough to dig back up.

I hate that I can't even be normal for one night.

I really hate that I had to force her to come with me.

Two girls approached the both of us. I immediately recognized them as the Hernandez twins. One was dressed as an angel, the other was a demon.

I would have laughed at how poorly made their costumes were, if it weren't for how drunk and annoyed I was by both of their screaming.

The one dressed as a demon grabbed my arm, "Ezra!" She squealed, immediately giving me a headache, "Will you share a drink with us?"

The other twin dressed as an angel slowly fit her way between me and Olivia, pushing her completely out of my grasp, and replacing herself around my arm instead. "Just one?" She reached up and kissed my cheek before I could stop her.

These girls were harmless, they were both slightly drunk, which gave them the courage to ask me for a drink.

And yet, them clinging to me like I gave a shit about them was offensive and made me dizzy.

I glanced over my shoulder at Olivia, only to find she wasn't there.

She was gone.

A wave of panic struck me, and I realized what a fucking idiot I have been.

She never wanted to be here. I ignored that.

She never wanted to be here with me. I pretended that wasn't true.

She never wanted to be near me in the first place. That is something engraved in my mind that only alcohol can dissipate for a few hours.

I scanned the crowd of people, hoping I would find Olivia standing there, waiting for me, but I knew that wasn't going to happen. It was a false hope, a childish one.

She left.

My head was pounding, I thought for a moment I was about to throw up the alcohol I just consumed.

"Come on, come on." The twin dressed as an angel said, as she guided me over to the drink table. "One drink won't hurt."

There was no such thing as 'one drink' with me, and yes, I knew very well that it would fucking hurt. I knew this, and yet, I still let her hand me one.