Something to last forever (part 2)

Tony had spent the past hour with his arm around me, as if making sure that he wasn't dreaming, that he had me back.

I was curled into his side, a tired smile on my face, and an iron man blanket wrapped around me.

-------------

Tony had been different.

They had known him before he got Peter.

He had been cold, narcissistic, egotistical...

But when he found Peter, he had softened around the edges, his voice had lowered, and softened, he didn't have the same cold glare.

He wasn't aloof, and he actually started using good habits.

Meaning actually eating and sleeping.

After all, he had an impressionable teen to look after.

Had to set a good example, right?

And then when Tony lost his kid, he went back to his old ways.

Self-destructive habits, obsessively working, isolating himself, etc...

But when he looked at Peter, all the masks fell away, and he was just a man.

A father, looking at his child as if his child was the most important thing on earth.

------------

I rolled over drowsily, the warm pillow soft against my cheek.

Wait.

Warm pillow?

My pillow, the one my relative had given me, was neither warm or soft.

My eyes shot open, and I bolted upright.

I was in the main room of the tower, the team having fallen asleep watching a movie.

My heartbeat rocketed, seeing Tony wasn't in sight.

I pulled my arm away from Sam, who was using it as a pillow, and my leg from where it was a headrest for Clint and Natasha.

Then I tiptoed to the kitchen.

It was empty.

"Uh... Jarvis?" I said quietly, remembering the reassuring and familiar voice.

But a different voice answered. "I am F.R.I.D.A.Y. Jarvis is no longer the AI of this tower. How may I assist you?"

I hesitated. "Where's- do you know where my dad is?"

"I believe he is in his room. Would you like me to tell him you are searching for him?"

I shook my head. "No. I'll go there."

I stepped into the elevator, the floor cold beneath my feet.

The carpet made my footsteps almost silent as I made my way to my dad's room, and then to his side where he was sitting on the couch beside the window.

His eyes were blank and unfocused, looking at something I couldn't see.

I curled up on the cushion beside him, leaning against his side. My head rested beside the arc reactor. The soft blue glow was soothing.

He automatically brought his arm up to pull me closer and I felt more than heard his sigh. "Hey Pete."

His voice was low, where I could barely hear it. "Why are you up so early?"

I shrugged, not wanting to tell him it was because I thought I had dreamed seeing him again.

"Just missed you." I mumbled.

His hand brushed through my hair.

The motion was soothing, and familiar.

He used to do it all the time, when I'd have nightmares, and couldn't sleep, or when I was stressed, or hurt.

"Talk to me kiddo."

I closed my eyes. "Just- I keep thinking that I'm going to wake up, and this is going to be gone, and I'll be back there." My hold tightened. "I missed you really bad."

His hand paused, and he pressed a gentle kiss to my head. "I missed you more than you know."

His hand resumed the motion, and I felt my eyelids starting to close.

"Don' leave," I mumbled.

"I won't," he promised, his voice tired, but gentle. "I'm not leaving you."