Chapter 51: The Lady's Acceptance

The castle turned into a prison after my confrontation with Lord Magnus and Lord Chester. The Westons prohibited me from wandering outside the castle unless a battalion of soldiers and my future spouse would accompany me. I never liked that idea so I decided to stay in the castle and read books in the library. Lady Amanda showed her sympathy by visiting me in my chamber bringing beautiful dresses she had chosen for me to wear. She was somehow confused by the way I was being treated for she had been friends with my mother ever since I was a kid. She was trying to help me in her own way but it only did a little to lessen my misery.

To make things worse, the preparation for the wedding was rushed that they were able to organize everything in a week. And just like that, the rest of the days passed with the castle being busy for the incoming event. It didn't even occur to me until I realized that the wedding is going to happen in the next day, and in which I was informed that my visitors are coming the day before the big event.

I was in the huge balcony of the castle watching the rulers and representatives from North and South Land arrived and being welcomed. Apparently, I wasn't in the mood to celebrate and be excited for my incoming wedding. I stayed there refusing to join them in meals and instead, asking the servants to bring my food in the balcony instead. I was contented with the companion of my misery and books. It was noon when the door to the balcony opened and I immediately stood, surprised to see my mother and Lord William with a bandage in his arm, in the doorway, smiling and yet, looking at me with concern in their eyes. Without second thoughts, I rushed towards my mother and she received me with welcoming arms.

"How are you feeling, mother? Are you alright? How's the East Castle?" I didn't even give her time to answer before turning to Lord William and asked, "I thought it would take you longer to recover. How's your arm?" It was like I missed a lot of important events in their lives that I had to fire questions about their well-being.

Lord William chuckled and patted my shoulder in assurance. "You don't need to worry about us, little one. Now that my wounds are healed, I'll make sure that Lady Adeline and the East Land will be taken care of."

But his assurance was not enough. It would never be enough. My mother felt my doubt and I leaned on her as she caressed my hair to comfort me. "Lord William will help us in the castle. All you need to think about is your wedding tomorrow," she sighed, her palm touching my cheek gently. "I can't believe that you're going to be married soon. Please remember that you'll always be my little girl."

Her glistening eyes mirrored mine and we both control the tears that were threatening to escape from them. We knew that this marriage was not an outcome of love, but of conspiracy, betrayal, and manipulation. And if what I've heard from Lord Magnus last time was true, then we were just being played by the masterminds' game.

"My dear Primrose, I'm sorry about your father. If we had known that we would be ambushed on our way, we would have listened to you and just consider the decision you made in the North Castle." He looked at me with sadness and sincerity in his eyes. He had been with my father for many years and they both created laws that improve the lives of the people of the East Land. It must have been traumatizing to see his friend being killed in front of him. I glanced at his bandaged arm and the healing bruises and wounds on his body. It was clear that he didn't get out of the incident easily.