Chapter Thirty-four: Pasts, Fears, and Secrets

*after almost a whole month of not updating* Oof-- *hides from the tomatoes*

I'm sorry for putting this on hold for so long. T_T It's just that I've been focusing too much on art that I've barely had any time to sit down and write. Now I'm sitting down on my arse in front of my laptop at 11 pm. Hope y'all like it.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

BoBoiBoy may be young at that time, but Dark fully remembers everything. He usually puts up a happy mask in public, but in private, everything is completely different.

BoBoiBoy's father was an ambassador, and a very well-respected one at that. He is known to be fair and civilized. He is also well-mannered and handsome, which has many women drool at the sight of him. BoBoiBoy's mother, on the other hand, was a part of the Malaysian Special Branch. She is incredibly intelligent and observant, which made BoBoiBoy's father fall for her. Together, she and her husband are a powerful force to be reckoned with.

Somehow, in between their busy schedule, they had BoBoiBoy. (Note: BoBoiBoy has no brother. And I think this is canon.) He wasn't planned in the first place as both parents know that it will just interfere with their schedule. When BoBoiBoy was born, they had a friend take care of him whenever they were away.

BoBoiBoy grew up innocently enough. He was loved and cared for by his parents' friend. However, everything changed when his mother lost her job. 

The Malaysian Special Branch had an issue, which involved the Malayan Communist Party and an SB member. Nevertheless, SB's highest ranking officer was pissed and decided to "clean" the agency which involved BoBoiBoy's mother being removed from the job despite being innocent.

She was furious about her firing. She, in her anger, also blamed BoBoiBoy for what happened. In her mind, if BoBoiBoy hadn't been born, everything would have been perfect. And so, she decided to take her anger on her son. Nevertheless, BoBoiBoy had a hard time at the hands of his mother.

BoBoiBoy tried to reach out for the others, but no one believed him as his mother's reputation preceded her. He ended up being ridiculed from saying the truth. Of course, his father doesn't know a thing and frankly, BoBoiBoy doesn't want him to know.

It was a relief when BoBoiBoy went to Palau Rintis where Tok Aba welcomed him with open arms. He, like his father, doesn't know about his mother's treatment to him. He pushed back all of those horrendous memories at the back of his mind and started a new life.

When Dark told him these, Earth had initially wondered how their dark elemental counterpart coped with the memories. With a jolt, he realized that he didn't. Like BoBoiBoy, he suppressed all of them, hoping to never encounter them again. 

Although, letting them all out did Dark wonders. He was more open and more carefree. It was a subtle change, something that only the most observant of people would notice, like Earth.

The reason why Earth was very observant was because of his fear: the fear of not being able to protect everyone. It was BoBoiBoy's fear himself, but it was increased tenfold on Earth. He's constantly on watch for the others in case something goes wrong, and if he's honest, it's eating him up.

Glancing at his clenching hand, Earth decided to take up his offer.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Dark was currently glaring daggers at the voice manipulator who was smirking. They had finally took up the one-on-one Pokemon battle that he mentioned during the TAPOPS Test. He was narrowly defeated by Atalanta who has all sorts of tricks up in her sleeve. 

"Dark, can I talk to you?"

The dark elemental distractedly looked at the source of the voice and saw an anxious looking Earth standing in front of them. His mind immediately cleared as he realized what the conversation would be about. He nodded his assent and turned to look at Atalanta. She seem to understand what was happening and turned to leave to give the other two their privacy.

Earth then sat at the recently-vacated seat beside Dark, whose phone now lies forgotten at the table. 

After a few minutes of silence, the earth elemental spoke softly. "I'm scared, Dark. Especially now that we now BoRaRa's on the loose."

Dark squeezed the motherly elemental's hand, silently letting him know that he's not alone in the matter. He received a shaky smile in return.

"Promise me you'll be safe."

"I promise."

This time, both occupants noticed the increasing glow on Dark's watch.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

That night, just after dinner, a lone figure could be seen standing at the rooftop of the station.

"Are the preparations ready?" A feminine voice said from a floating device in front of the figure.

"Patience, KiKiTa. It is only for a few days more."

KiKiTa scoffed from the other end of the line. "Don't use that tone on me, newbie. Just do your work wonderfully and I may put in a good word for you." 

The figure sighed as the call ended. She truly regretted joining the Tengkotak Gang. She was naive back then, but she knew more now. Short of sabotaging the mission, she settled on warning them of the upcoming danger that would fall upon them. However, she had to be discreet about it.

The figure's eyes glowed gold and silver as she made her decision. She would warn them, and she knew who to tell about it.

"It is possible, of course. But I won't forget you. The heart never forgets, Atalanta."

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

One thing is for sure. I'll be updating more during  the summer. I'll probably finish this before school starts in two months.