Chapter 8

*Flashbacks in bold

The night felt heavy. She kept the window closed, the lights switched off and was sat on the floor leaning against the bottom side of the bed. She may have acted strict and strong in front of the family or while talking to Shahroze but deep down in reality, she was not that strong.

Shahroze always told her how her love was his weakness, but he never asked her. He was her weakness too.

If his love was selfless, so was hers.

If he couldn't see her sad, she couldn't either.

If he couldn't see her in pain, she couldn't either.

They were alike in the ways they loved. Yet it was so easy for him to just do one call and end everything like it didn't hurt him one bit. She closed her eyes in search of some answers or some peace. He was more compassionate than her. He was more loving than her. He was not selfish, and he was not dishonest either. Then why did he do this? How could he do this? She couldn't figure out what went wrong.

She spent her life's three years with him. He was her very first friend in America. He was her very first love. And the only love. Now, looking back if she hadn't found him that day in the coffee shop paying for her coffee, who knew how hard America would have been for her. He made it all so easy. So doable.

Shahroze Sheikh was her habit. He was her strength, her soul, and her heart. He made Rudaba into a strong woman she was today. He lifted her morale whenever she was down, he criticised her if she did something wrong, he protected her when she was unsafe, he stood by her side and held her hand when she was stumbling, and most of all, he loved her. Only her. She knew he only loved her. She trusted him and even today after his refusal, she can swear on her life and claim that he only loved her. Then why did he do this?

Three long years. But they went so quick now when she thinks of it.

Thinking about all the time she spent with him, thinking about all the times he wiped her tears, thinking about all smiles he captured in his camera and all the forehead kisses he gave to her to boost her confidence and to make her feel assured were coming back in her mind. They were soothing her aching heart, but they were colliding in her brain with all the questions she had. And that's when she set loose her tears. Allowed them to relentlessly drop from her eyes to her face.

The pain of losing him was immense, but she didn't know this was not over yet. The pain was not over yet. He was not fully lost yet. Yet. But she didn't know. The pang of pain in her heart had just began. And there was a long way to go from here.

----------------

She was pretending she was asleep, but she wasn't. Fatima had walked in her room and found her lying on the bed facing the other side of the room. Fatima thought of whispering or calling out her name, she even thought to walk near her to see if she was actually sleeping but she didn't. She knew her daughter well enough. The façade of strength and anger she had over herself a day ago was not real. It was not Rudaba. She knew, after all she was her mother. That's why she didn't walk in further to ask her anything and instead left her in her space.

Closing the door with a faint click behind her, she heaved a sigh and walked towards the living room. Nudrat, Saeed and Aijaz were all sitting together waiting for Fatima to tell them if Rudaba was okay.

"She is sleeping. So, I didn't disturb her."

Nudrat nodded but was looking painfully at Fatima.

"I am really sorry for what is happening, Fatima. Shahroze is not taking our call but don't worry, we will go to America and find out everything. We couldn't get a ticket today otherwise even tomorrow seems so far."