chapter eighteen

BELINDA STANDS IN THE doorway to our apartment on Sunday and adjusts the scarves around her neck

BELINDA STANDS IN THE doorway to our apartment on Sunday and adjusts the scarves around her neck. Wide-eyed, we all stare and wait for her final assessment.

The past hour has been crazy at best, but Nolan had a math test to prove my mom helped him study, and the whole apartment is spotless. Even though it's only been a week since Belinda's last visit, Mom told her we already have a new employee.

So our fate is pretty much in Belinda's hands right now. The anxiety's going to make me throw up if she doesn't tell us how we did.

"Nolan does seem happy here," Belinda finally says. "You were right, this does seem to be the right home for him."

I practically collapse with relief. Belinda's going to give us a good referral. Nolan's going to stay here, right where he belongs.

"Oh, thank goodness," Mom says. "Thank you, Belinda."

When she leaves, we all converge for a group hug. I hold onto my cousin as tight as I can. Not that I ever would've let go.

"I knew we'd win," I say. "I mean, I was freaking out and everything, but I knew it."

"Does this mean we get takeout?" Nolan asks.

"Yes, sweetheart." Mom laughs. "Our plans are still on."

We decided earlier that if—when—Belinda gave us a positive assessment, we'd celebrate by ordering from whatever restaurant we want and watching superhero movies all night. We dig into our drawer of fliers and spend the next hour arguing over whether to get pizza or burritos.

"Where's Carson?" Nolan asks. "Shouldn't he be here by now?"

I check my phone. Three p.m. "Yeah, he should be." I text him and ask what's up.

An hour ticks by. Three extra-large pizzas, a few pounds of chicken wings, and enough root beer to flood the basement arrive. I haven't eaten all day; my mouth waters, and Nolan already has the first Avengers movie up. But I'm not eating until Carson replies. Mom and I set the food up on the coffee table, and once again, I check the time.

"Carson still hasn't texted me," I whisper to Mom. "I'm getting worried. It's not like him to blow me off, and he knew how important today was. We even got this weird pizza with bacon and pineapple for him."

"Why don't you go check on him?" Mom says.

"But..." I glance at Nolan, who has a big slice of pepperoni on his plate, his eyes glued to the TV screen.

"Nolan wants him here too." Mom rubs my arm. "Go pick him up now and you'll be back before the pizza gets cold."

"Okay. But I'll be right back."

I sling my denim jacket on before I zip outside, hurrying to the car as fast as I can. I should be ecstatic right now—all Mom has to do is get the court's approval on custody of Nolan, and since we already got Belinda's, the only ones left to convince are Colleen and the courts. I should be relieved. But my heart thrums my ribcage as I hop into the driver's seat, because all I can think about is Carson. What if he's fighting with his family again? What if he's in trouble? What if he's high?