Prologue

"Dad?" Russia called out, arms crossed as he stiffly stood in the doorway of his father's office. Often his father scared him, but something was off recently and Russia didn't understand what it was at the time. He knew USSR loved him, but his body still bore the bruises of the occasional 'behavioral adjustments' USSR gave him.

The normally quiet and proud man stood with his arms in front of him, back turned to his 7 year old son and he faced the window. He could feel it. His time had come.

"Папа?" Russia repeated, slightly louder as he took a step forward.

"Россия, сын- иди ко мне." USSR said breathily, clenching his fists and turning around.

Russia gasped as he watched bits of his father's face break off and dissolve into thin air. He crept closer and dropped his arms, shocked and terrified at once.

"My era has come to an end. You know how I raised you. Carry on my legacy well." He winced and looked down at his hand, which now was breaking apart. He looked up and smiled weakly at his son, tears running down from his eyes.

"I know I was tough on you, but I want you to be strong. Like I was." Before he could say another word, his legs began to disintegrate beneath him. Russia began to cry and walk forward.

"Я люблю тебя..." USSR whispered, holding his arms out one last time to hug his son. Yet, as Russia raced forwards to embrace him, his body dissolved and Russia fell to his knees in horror as his body disappeared, leaving a bundle of clothes on the floor behind him, as well as his ushanka. Russia grasped the hat in his hands, lip quivering before he burst into tears and looked up to where his father had been before. Suddenly his siblings, Ukraine and Belarus burst into the room behind him to see what all the commotion was about. They were greeted by the sight of Russia on his knees sobbing into USSR's ushanka. He turned to his siblings and they engulfed him in a hug as they mourned. He may have been tough on them, but he was still their father. And now he was gone.

That was the day Russia vowed to never let anyone that close to him again.

—————

Welp, hope you all enjoyed. :)
Love y'all.
(The art on the cover and header are mine)