Chapter 25

I place all my blouses, jeans and tops in an organised angle in my room. I try to separate my clothes based on their shades and immediately allot them into different branches. I grab a few dresses from my suitcase and proceed to arrange them accordingly. I sigh looking at the wall clock, it was close to 8;00 in the evening. I lazily run my hands though my hair and lay down on my comfy bed taking a deep breath. It's been two days since I got married, two days since I became a Rodriguez. Things were just tense. Things between Mr.Rodriguez and I were deflated and so void. I haven't said a word to him and we hardly came across each other. I don't know what I have to do as his wife. I didn't know anything about this forsaken place and I had no clue.Dad's condition was no better, nothing was turning out to be right but the news of our wedding spread like wildfire across the globe. My friends constantly sent me few viral articles and pictures, I didn't know how to react to that, after all our marriage is for the world only. Our vows are fake, our labels are wrong. I shake my head, overthinking will do me no good.

I shut my suitcase and place it inside one of the spare wooden cupboards. I look around the closet and decide to make few changes. I have to talk to him about it, if  he wants me to stay as his wife for this one year, then I'll have to modify a little so that it suits my taste a little better.
My gaze falls on the long extravagant dresses, they were too grand and shimmering. He wants a trophy wife to show off to the world, I will do that. I'll be that.I'm paid for doing that, it's time I keep my promise. For two whole days my mind was filled with thoughts, Opinions, judgements and conclusions. I haven't thought much about that night, night where he had come to me, so easily touched me. It will never happen again, he will not touch me like that. Like he owns me.

One thing I have concluded about Mr.Rodriguez is that he is extremely uncertain. He is hot and he is cold, he is so unpredictable ...I don't know, his behaviour with me is so subjective, it's changes every other second. All the news paper articles that I read gave  me no hint about this side of him. He is desired, I know that. Women around the world, go gaga for him, but he never spared a glance at any of the supermodels or actresses, when it comes to women, Mr.Rodriguez had a zero record, which is quite unusual. Some down right predicted that he was into men, but the way he held my waist spoke volumes. He is a full blooded male and I am a walking example for that.

I jerk out of my thoughts when in I hear a knock on my door. I set my dress and hair right and open the door. I find the same timid, young girl who served me the other day. I fold my hands against my chest and give a poker face, the staff for some reason hates me, I will try to ignore their existence as well.

"Yes?"

She holds a bouquet in her hands. It looked quite attractive with its bright red lilies and white orchids. It had few amaryllis too. They looked extremely fresh and bright.

"This is for you Mrs.Rodriguez"

I cringe hearing the sound of it, I still found it hard to digest the fact that I'm married. I give her a nod and take it form her hands.

The flowers had a note. I immediately close the door and set them on the table beside my bed. The odour was good, hypnotising.

"Congratulations Mrs.Rodriguez. I convey my sincere apologies for not attending the wedding. May god bless your  union.

                     —Reynolds James.

Ray. It was Ray. It's been ages since I last contacted him, he was busy studying medicine in New York and he never had time for me. Regardless, he still was very important to me. How did he know where I was? Is Mr.Rodriguez aware about this? I often called him up but all of them went to voice messages. It's as if he wasn't interested anymore. All our times together, all of those high school days flash in front of my eyes. Our embarrassing stories, funny ones, emotional ones...our happy times. So many. I place the card aside, it's as if we was mocking me. This isn't the Ray I know, his every word was dipped in honey, if I know better it almost feels like he was being plain sarcastic. But why! If there is someone who should be angry then that would be me. Ray stayed in New York and Elisa sometimes visited..they often met, I was the one left out. I was the one being ignored. He never tried to call me. He was too different now. Ray hated gloating things but from what I heard from Elisa he was mingling with the wrong crowd, he transformed all his 'wrongs' into 'rights' to blend into the elite crowd.