03 | d r o w n i n g

{W} e talked for a long time.

About anything and everything. We skipped the awkwardness in the beginning of a relationship, and instead jumped forward to the comfortable openness you could only have with a friend.

"I bet I could climb this tree faster than you," I challenged.

"You're on," Draco said, rolling up his sleeves. Then he paused, looking over my attire. "You're in a dress."

"Oh yeah," I said, glaring down at my dress. "You can climb the tree, I'll stay down here, all alone," I sighed.

Draco laughed, "Well, I'll leave you with the rocks." He started climbing up and I noticed that he was good, but nowhere as good as me.

"I hope you—" I started to shout.

Thud!

"Owwww," I groaned. A heavy weight was crushing me, and three guesses to what it was.

"Get off, you're heavy!" I whined, trying to stand up.

"Ugh, you should eat more, that was a rough landing," he said as he pulled himself up.

"Well you wouldn't have had a rough landing if you could climb properly," I grumbled. "And you ruined my only dress," I complained.

"Only?" Draco asked questioningly.

"Yeah, only. As in you ruined the one dress I had."

"I could buy you more," he shrugged, seeming proud of himself for offering.

"Thanks, but no."

"But, you just said that was your only dress." Draco said, sounding confused.

"Yeah, and I was complaining because I was annoyed. That doesn't mean I want you to buy me more."

"Okay," Draco said slowly, still sounding unsure.

I brushed myself down to get rid of the dirt.

Draco looked at me and laughed, "You have moss in your hair!"

"Where?" I asked, my hands flying up to my head, searching.

"Here," he plucked the moss out of my hair and held it right next to my face. "It matches your eyes," he said, barely containing his laughter.

"Hey! My eyes aren't mossy. You should be comparing them to emeralds or jades or something." I haughtily raised my head in fake annoyance.

"Moss eyes!"

"Jerkface!"

Our nine-year-old selves doubled up in laughter, until we noticed that the sun was setting.

We both looked at each other with wide, panicked eyes, and it was like we communicated telepathically.

We're screwed.

"I can't go back in looking like this!" I pointed to my dirty, disheveled self.

"Come on, you can borrow clothes from my mother or something," Draco exclaimed, pushing me towards the manor.

"How long have we been here?" I asked while running into the house.

"I don't know! Like two hours?" he huffed.

He shoved me into a room and picked out a dress. "This one should fit you."

The dress was dark green, with what definitely wasn't cheap fabric. It could be described in one word, expensive.

"There's no way I could wear that," I refused, pushing the dress back towards him.

"Consider it payment for ruining your dress," Draco urged the dress into my arms. "If you go in looking like that, they're going to attack you like wolves."

I dropped my head down in defeat. "You're right," I said, hesitantly taking the dress.

As he turned to leave, I called out, "Thank you."

He looked back with what looked like surprise on his face. "Anytime," he smiled.