Chapter Seventeen

My senses were reeling. I knew that scent but lack of experience and the drive to get as far away from Pierce made me temporarily ignore it. Pierce's words were no surprise, but had he been truly planning on killing me?

My feet flew across the ground, I wasn't sure where I was going but I continued to run. I could hear Pierces growls along with howls from Ben and the others. I was momentarily happy to have seen them. Why had they come? Did something happen to Kain? They had seemed to have wanted me, but what was the reasoning?

I shook my head so I could focus on the path ahead. Nothing was familiar. In my weeks staying with Pierce, the outdoors were never a priority, and as history dictates, going outside never ended well for me. I was one who never learned from past mistakes. The scents all around me were still overwhelming, Pierce's scent littered the entire area, this was clearly his territory. The other smells, trees, grass, animals and more were just as strong.

Slowing down into a trot I took in my surroundings. The forest had become slightly denser, sunlight shown through the trees overhead, but I wasn't entirely sure which direction to go. Left? Right? Straight? Turn back?

Coming to a stop, I circled around myself, lost. My wolf was spooked. His scent was still around. It wasn't too fresh but it wasn't old either. Should I go to him? Maybe it would be best? My wolf growled, he did not like that idea.

Freezing, I listened. It had become too silent. My ears perked slight twitching in hopes to pick up any sounds, my body trembled, something was off. The howls had stopped, and Pierce's growls were long gone. Had I gotten away from them? Impossible, right? I wasn't that fast. Doing another circle I made the quick decision to bound off to the East. Staying still wasn't a good idea. Whoever was following me would find me much too soon if I didn't keep on running. I had a suspicion that it was possibly Pierce stalking me, making the chase into a game but I wasn't sure.

I was livid at his words and upset that I was useless to him outside whatever he wanted to know about the packs. I didn't know anything useful, to begin with. The previous day came back to me. The bed, his arms wrapped around me. His scent. He had been so comforting, so relaxed, so safe.

"Who says I plan to mate or breed with him?"

"To mate an Omega would shame my family, oh no fleabag."

That's what he said. My heart sank, I wanted to howl, wanted to cry. I knew when I was branded that I wouldn't be allowed to have that type of happiness. I knew I had ruined it for myself. However, since being with Pierce I thought I had found a new type of happiness that I was content with. I thought I had found a place for myself. Even though I had known it was temporary I truly thought Pierce would grow attached to me and keep me. I wanted that, wanted him, his warmth, his safety. It was all my own destructive thinking though. He had told me from the beginning that I wouldn't be with him long term, but I let myself hope. I was truly addicted to my own self-destruction. 

I was too caught up in my own thoughts to notice where I was going and before I knew it I felt the ground beneath me disappear. The front of my body fell first and a howl echoed out of my mouth as I started to tumble down a steep rocky ledge. My body hit the rocky surface multiple times before I finally hit the branch of a tree and before finally coming into contact with the ground. I gasped for breath, winded, my chest hurt, my body hurt. The fall had been hard. I laid there.

I could smell my own blood, and I felt the throbbing pain course through me. I didn't move though. I was afraid to move. The pain was welcomed though. The anger that whirled inside of me was still present but the pain helped ease it.

Shame.

I would bring shame to anyone that would think of mating me. I wasn't made for my own happiness. The Moon had decided long ago that us Omegas were only as useful as the pack saw fit. We were made to create happiness for others. Maybe I was selfish in hoping to have my own happiness. Maybe that's what my problem was, I was too selfish.