28. DIES IRAE

*trigger warnings: child abuse, misgendering, transphobia

"I am not a creature that was born. I am a fire that was set."

—Moss Angel

The walls weren't thick enough to contain the screams as Lin got to work

The walls weren't thick enough to contain the screams as Lin got to work. Faint gunshots punctuated Hadrian's steps as he hurried back to the boat. Already, people were starting to pool in the dark streets of the island, their fear pushed down by curiosity. 

He kept his head down and walked faster.

Behind him, Cortez and Razo did their best to appear inconspicuous as they went against the tide of people. They were both too big to slide between bodies without being suspicious. Cortez looked vaguely ill, walking slower than Razo.

Hadrian waited until the other mens' eyes caught his before extricating himself from the crowd and slotting himself in an empty alley. His bag wasn't as heavy as it had been before, but it still pushed down into his shoulder enough to ache. He shifted the weight before putting it down at his feet. The wall's cool dampness seeped through the back of his shirt and against his skin. 

This far, he couldn't hear Lin or the screams. It was almost easy to forget what was happening. 

He swallowed and crossed his arms. 

A moment later, Cortez appeared and stepped into the alley, followed closely by Razo. Cortez breathed out like his bag weighed a thousand pounds and sank to the ground with it. Hadrian pushed off the wall and lifted his eyebrows. He glanced between Razo and Cortez. "What's wrong?"

"Nothin's bloody wrong." Razo rounded Cortez to approach Hadrian. Frustration wafted off the bearded man. Hadrian forced himself to stay relaxed. "He's getting all worked up about the morality of it all."

Hadrian pursed his lips. "Yeah, he told me about that earlier."

Razo's nostrils flared as he huffed out a breath. "Criminy, if he didn't want to come along, he coulda just said no, we'd have left him."

"I'm sorry," Cortez spoke up. "I just -- I wanted to help."

"And ya did. Good job." Razo shouldered his bag and turned to Cortez, leaning over to help him up. "Now let's get out before we get chased out."

Hadrian took that as his cue to go get his bag.

Cortez nodded and gulped hard. He took Razo's hand. 

He hauled himself forward, using the momentum to punch Razo in the throat.

Razo gave an aborted cough and reeled back. Cortez followed until he had him against the wall by his jaw. His other hand went to his belt, pulling out a needle. Cortez shoved the needle into Razo's leg right before Razo punched him in the ear.