Chapter 4: Comfortable

"HOW'S HE?" muntik na akong mapatalon sa gulat nang may magsalita. It was the Duke. Standing by the door of the infirmary.

"He's fine. One of the cook said he was under the sun the whole day, fixing the garden kaya nadehydrate. He has to rest the whole day tomorrow, Your Grace because apparently, he's had diarrhea too."

I saw his eyes narrowed at me. Did I say something wrong?

"I didn't tell you to call me 'Your Grace'."

"That's your title."

"Call me Exene."

"But—"

"You'll be eating with us for breakfast tomorrow."

"Ha?"

"I know you heard me."

I resisted the urge to roll my eyes. Liliana, calm down. This man can fire you in a wink.

"I mean...why?"

"Is there something wrong with having a breakfast with us?"

"Hindi naman sa gano'n—"

"Then it's settled." He smiled. "See you," and then he walked away while I remained stoned there. How the hell can he do that? He can make people agree and say nothing. He has that power to make people follow him.

And one more thing is that...he smiled. Why am I so surprised to see him smile? All people smile, dammit, Liliana! I shook my head and went back to the infirmary. I have to boil some ginger grass so my patient can drink it tomorrow or this evening. Napatingin ako sa pasyenteng natutulog. His wife is right there beside him, sleeping soundly too. I volunteered to be the watcher but the wife insisted kaya hindi na ako nagpumilit. After all, it's his husband.

When I finished preparing the liquid, inilagay ko iyon sa isang bote and placed it on the table with the note on when to take it. And then I walked back to my own room.

* * *

The next morning, I woke up early. Hindi ko alam kung bakit hindi ako nagigising nang ganito kaaga noong nasa Sandovia pa ako. Then I remembered that the Duke has invited me to have breakfast with them. Does that mean I am going to meet his wife today? For some reason, I'm curious at how his wife look like. She must be gorgeous. 

When I was done taking shower, I cursed myself. Wala nga pala akong damit. The one I wore last night was a pajama that was given to me by a servant. I need to ask for my salary in advance and go shopping. I was about to get out nang bumukas ang pinto ng kwarto. A servant entered my room. 

"Good morning, Miss Lily. His Grace sent me to deliver these new clothes for you." 

She did not wait for my response at agad lumabas ng kwarto. When I went to open one box, it was full of dresses. The other one was with shirts and pants.

Well, that's convenient. Since I don't have to go to the town center and buy the clothes myself. But how did he know my size? Am I the same size as his wife? Wait, are these clothes from his wife? Unbelievable.

I was debating whether to wear or not to wear one of the clothes but I have no other choice since I don't have any single clothes and I have no plans to humiliate myself and eat breakfast naked. So I wore one of the dresses. When I arrived at the dining, everybody was there. Well, not everybody. And they're already eating their breakfast.

"Looking good, Liliana." Levi grinned as I narrowed my eyes on him. How did he know my name? I certainly can't remember I told them my name is Liliana.

They probably read my expression as Luca chuckled. "Liliana Adelaide West or Lily of the West. I see you are quite famous in your hometown." He said.