The new life

After the horrible incident of yesterday, you had came back to the apartment, told everything to Ivy and collapsed in the bed, next to her.

In the morning, you had woken up and left a little note explaining where you would be today.
If there was a thing Ivy liked as much as eating, it was sleeping. Like a lough.
You had caressed her hair and left with your car. There was a place you wanted to go even before calling Oswald to announce him your resignation.
You parked your car in the underground parking and entered in the bar.
The Sirens was a very classy place. Of course, as any bar, you could smell the alcohol in the air, but here, you smelled Martini and Champagne. The decorations were gracious and elegant, it looked like a well-done mix of old and new.

"If it isn't the Penguin's lap dog !" you heard at the end of the room.

You sniffed, condescending.

"Show some respect !" another reprimanded her.

"Tabitha, Barbara !" you greeted.

"Excuse her for her disrespect. What can I do for you, darling ?" Barbara exclaimed.

Tabitha was glaring at you but you paid her no attention.

"I want to work here," you simply stated.

Barbara laughed and Tabitha narrowed her eyes.

"Excuse me, what now ?"

"You heard me, as soon as I will find a job, I will call Penguin to tell him I resign."

"Supposing I accept, you may understand it looks all a bit too weird, right ? Why should you leave Penguin who has always been your dear friend and who you helped as much as possible ? And Nygma ? You killed for him, were brought to an asylum for him. The three of you are like an inseparable evil trio," Barbara explained.

"'Guess we're not that much inseparable."

You saw your answer wasn't enough and took a deep breath.

"Listen, I know it seems weird I come here, but you know this was my bar and I just want to work here, it was a good period of my life and I wouldn't have to live in Ed's old apartment where everything reminds me of him !"

"So it's about Nygma, huh ? And you love him..." Barbara examined.

"So what's the problem with Penguin then ?" Tabitha asked.

"None ! Or at least..."

Barbara chuckled.

"Problem in the house, huh ?"

"Please just let me work here. I don't want to have anything to do with the underworld for a loooong time."

"Alright, you're hired. But I want to listen to your call with Penguin."

You nodded and took your phone out of your pocket. You dialed his number and waited for his response.

"Hello ?" you heard Ed's voice through the device.

"Let me talk to Oswald," you coldly said.

"Pepper ?" he exclaimed.

"I said-"

"I'm so glad to hear from you ! I was worried about-"

You scoffed and hung up the phone.
Barbara was clearly amused by the situation.

"So tell me, who did he replaced you-" she started.

The phone rang and you sighed and opened it.

"Listen Edward, if I ever even hear your voice again I'm gonna puke-"