Mild Steel - Composition, Features & Applications

Steel is a versatile metal used in a number of industries, commercial and domestic units. There are varied types of steel depending upon its composition and the manufacturing process and it can take a number of forms like steel pipes, plates, angles, beams, bars and many more.

One such categorization of steel is the hot rolled and the cold rolled steel variety. These products come in several standards depending upon the needs of the application and accordingly you have them ranging from mild steel to heavy duty steel. The differing needs of the clients are therefore met by specific steel dealers and suppliers like , , , and many more.

Steel as a metal is a combination of iron and carbon with iron being in a large percentage as compared to carbon. Other elements are also included in it such as phosphorous, sulphur, silicon and manganese which give it the required attributes. Depending upon the carbon content in steel it is classified as Dead mild steel, Low-carbon or Mild steel, Medium-carbon steel and High-carbon steel. Of these, we shall talk about Mild steel in detail.

Composition

The maximum carbon content in Mild steel is about 40 points. The equivalent value of one carbon point in the resulting steel is 0.01%. Hence, Mild steel contains a maximum quantity of 0.4% carbon. The percentages of other elements in it are about 0.6%-0.9% of manganese, up to 0.05% sulphur and up to 0.04% phosphorous. Change in any of these percentages causes a change in its attributes relating to strength and anti-corrosiveness.

Manufacturing process

The process of manufacture of Mild steel is much the same as other carbon steel forms. A commonly used method is melting coal and iron jointly in a blast furnace and further solidifying into whatever desired shape. The process of cold rolling or hot rolling helps to get the Mild steel to the required shape.

Features

Mild steel having low carbon content can better endure breakage and at the same time is fairly malleable. This endows it with high impact strength and makes it greatly flexible. Mild steel may deform or bend under stress but will never crack or shatter. It is easily machinable and weldable, can be finished and polished as desired. Due to its malleability, softness and strength it is much sought after in a number of applications. No form of heat treatment process can harden this form of steel unlike steels with higher carbon content.

Applications

Construction or structural projects, manufacturing of machine parts, pipelines for transporting natural gas or water, fencing projects are a few applications where it is used. It acts as a strong frame material for buildings as it is resistant to fire and rot besides meeting stringent wind or seismic requirements. Pipes made of Mild steel can be subjected to welding with great ease and avoid getting cracked under pressure. Finally, all fencing projects use this form of steel as it offers a combination of strength and visual appeal.

All in all none can question the versatility, cost effectiveness and ease of manufacture of this metal!