Six

"Hoping for the best, but expecting the worst"

I stare at the young model for what feels like minutes, taking everything in

I stare at the young model for what feels like minutes, taking everything in. Once I'm satisfied that I've scrutinised every aspect of her look, I turn to face Ollie.

"Look, I'm just not loving the look and feel of this. If we shoot this as it is, it's going to be a mistake on our end."

"I don't know," he replies, holding his chin deep in thought - his trademark gesture. "I feel this look is incredibly current, and I adore matching prints."

"I disagree," I motion. "I definitely am one to dote on matching prints, though don't you feel it's a bit too matchy matchy? Like the skirt and crop... and then the bag, and boots, it's all a bit... much."

I see his opinion shift almost instantly, and he runs over to the dressing area with a few different shoe options.

"You're completely right. I'll check the closet upstairs for a new bag."

"That's new," I comment purposely loud enough for Ollie to hear me.

"What is?" he replies.

"It's not everyday you see a proud gay man running towards a closet," I laugh. "Isn't it meant to be the other way around?"

The model and I are in fits of giggles as he gives me his classic death stare, pointing his index and middle finger from his eyes and to us to show that he is watching.

"You've definitely found your calling honey," the model comments once we stop laughing.

"For this?" I ask, while holding a needle in my teeth as I try to pin her jacket. "I hope so considering it's my job!"

"But it's more than that. I've worked with so many people, and people either have it, or they don't. You seem to be thriving. Have you ever thought about doing personal styling instead? There's so much opportunity here in London, and you seem to have a good grasp on what's current."

"Hmm," I comment, not really sure what to say.

It's true, I've considered branching off and starting my own business, though I wouldn't even know where to start. It's mainly a confidence thing I guess. Here I am, comfortable and completely aware that despite the cutthroat industry, I'm secure in my position. Starting a business would mean building up a list of clientele who would agree to take me on, and starting everything anew. I've always had a desire to work for myself, and not from the demands of a supposed nine to five job, which has somehow evolved into starting at eight, and I'm lucky to leave before nine. I crave the freedom I have lost throughout working for Bullett, and want more of that back. My crazy work schedule only means added friction to my relationship, though it's almost like my security blanket for when he's on tour. I have no time to think about missing him, and can focus all of my attention on my tasks. It just doesn't feel like it's working here anymore.