o n e .

one.

TW: Violence, mentions of alcohol, mentions of death, mentions of untreated trauma, child neglect

Notes: Honestly writing this was so exhausting, like I wrote it and rewrote and blah blah blah, but its roughly 3000 words so its good enough for wattpad, lol.

Enjoy!

The Uzumaki twins decide early on that Yuuma was a kind man. They had known that when he had agreed to house them that he was different because even talking to them was taboo. To willingly agree to take them on was to voluntarily isolate yourself from over half of Konoha's general populace.

It was evident in the way fewer and fewer people came to the bar after they arrived. Some people came a threw them nasty glares but otherwise didn't make a fuss.

"Good," Yuuma spat one night when she had brought the subject up, "I don't want to sell my good liquor to scum who can't look at children like they're children."

Kumiko never pushed on why he kept them around after that.

The weeks spent with Yuuma had been slow and peaceful, fun even.

Kumiko knew that she was the only Uzumaki twin that would be attending the academy and forced herself not to care too much, even with the telltale sign of anxiety drumming in her stomach.

She had spent most of her weeks writing up different plots and plans to save the world around her. She had even written a persuasive letter to Danzo that she had promptly burned.

If he ever caught on to her, if he or someone else had ever read that letter.

Kumiko shuddered to think of the consequences that would follow.

After their first week with Yuuma, most of which had been spent moving their old things in and shopping, they had fallen into a routine of light training and work. Where ever Yuuma went, Naruto was bound to be following, stacks of scrolls and other nicknacks tucked in his arms as he chattered away happily.

Her happiest memory was of Naruto and Yuuma sleeping on the couch with medical tomes scattered around them. Different terms are highlighted and spelt out with a definition below it. A cup of coffee that had gone cold with time on the table and a plastic cup of orange juice, extra pulp because Naruto was weird.

She had grinned at the sight and laid some blankets over them, meeting Yuuma's eye when the action made him wake up. He had snorted something incoherent and gone back to sleep, his hand curling through Naruto's unruly hair.

Kumiko was so happy that her brother could feel even the slightest bit normal in this life.

Kumiko spent her days before the academy in the library reading all she could on Konohagakure's history. Here she learns that so much of the Warring Era was censored in a way that made it seem like the Uchiha were bad guys and the Senju were the good guys. Black and white. As if the Senju hadn't slaughtered just as many people as the Uchiha did. As if they didn't make people cringe in the same way the Uchiha did.

It made her wonder if Uchiha were always painted in a bad light. In the current history text she was reading, known as The Founding of Konohagakure by Tenko Shimura, the Uchiha were painted negatively. Not that it surprised Kumiko, it seemed Uchiha bashing ran through the Shimura bloodline. (While reading about the author, Kumiko did her very best not to remember a blue-haired man who could destroy things with a single touch. After all, she remembered more than just the world of Naruto.)