Chapter 14: Preperations

Age: 9

The only thing worse than losing those you love, is not knowing exactly when you'll die, or how.

I gave a hiss in pain as my wrists yanked against the tightly wound rope on my wrists, my feet similarly bound but I was unable to check due to a thick cord of rope around my neck... securing me to the tree.

I made eye contact with Maxwell Von Lockhart, whose eyes were nearly blank as he watched me in what seemed to be fascination. He tall figure looming over me as he gripped my chin in between his fingers. I was forced to meet his bright green eyes which seemed to glow magically under the moonlight. In any other situation, I would blush as his handsome face was so close to mine. Yet, with a gag in my mouth as blood seeped through the cloth nestled between my teeth, I was no where close to blushing. I glared defiantly at the young Duke who had put me here. Dragged me by my hair through the woods, screaming words of scorn at him. He shaved me like an animal, stomped me until I lost consciousness, before I awoke tied like this to a large tree deep within the woods surrounding the Academy.

The reason? I had pushed the little whore that continuously snuggled up to my fiancé down the stairs, as if she had all the right in the world to be by his side. As if she wasn't a filthy commoner. As if she wasn't a witch that cursed me. She was fine in the end, only a little shaken up. Yet this man took it upon himself to enact revenge, like I murdered his family. If the gag wasn't in my mouth, I'd tell him that I'd see him in hell. Because I surely would.

"You're so disgusting. Such a pretty face with nothing behind it" He muttered.

It had been days since I had last had any water, food, or peace. The only thing which coated my throat now was my own blood from the repeated blows to my abdomen and rib cage. I was sure even if I was saved, I would not live long. The pain over powered the hatred, and the only thing I could manage was a pathetic glare towards the one who was tormenting me so. I hated him. Hated his little bitch. I hated this world with so much passion.
I was forced to piss myself like an animal while he watched in amusement; forced to watch while he ate food and drank water in front of me; and forced to endlessly suffer as he used me like some sort of practice dummy in his training grounds.

He did more than simple practice. I could no longer feel my feet, after he had broken my ankles to prevent me from running away, and now my left hand had gone numb after I had attempted to escape by using my slightly sharp nails to pick at the rope. He had only used one hand to crush my own when he figured out it had been freed. My endless screams were muffled by the cloth which he used to silence me.

"I guess it's time huh" he said, almost sad it seemed. And my blood went cold as I heard a howl.
Noticing my evident terror, he smirked down at me, humorlessly laughing.
"I guess you can do this world one favor huh? Nourishment" he said darkly, and before I realized it, he had cut the ropes.

Dazed, I collapsed to the ground at the base of the tree. I could not stand, and when I finally looked at my feet and I cried in horror as I realized from the ankle down, both feet were black. Odd white patches and puss were leaking from the protruding bones in both ankles. Blood stained the ground around me. My blood.

I noticed my hand now. My fingers distorted, it didn't even look real. I cradled the broken hand to my chest now, as I looked up and saw Max climbing the tree I was once tied up to. High up into the branches, his gaze never left me. I was paralyzed in fear as I realized I could hear rustling around me. And glowing yellow eyes within the darkness of the bushes.

"If I were you, at least attempt to get away. Prey is best served fresh" he said coldly, sitting on the Branch, and leaning back with his arms crossed against the trunk of the tree. As if he was watching an Opera comfortably.