The streets

The four of us made our way to town together, Bramble and Rain finding us a happy medium between fast and safe from above. Ordinarily, we'd just have flown and been there in minutes. But, of course, Liana wasn't able to fly. I wasn't bothered much. Pregnant cuckoolines weren't able to transform either, so walking someone along the forest floor wasn't something new for me.

All in all, it took us about three hours, accounting for the time spent letting her rest. I was quickly wishing we had brought water. We had taken a long route through the forest to avoid her neighborhood.

I could tell she was getting concerned when Bramble and Rain flew down to let me know we were close. Wishing for the millionth time in my life that I could speak to aliens, I headed towards the edge of the forest, beckoning the tired Liana. She clearly wanted a break, but I knew that'd change once she was out of the forest. The area was quiet, as if we were near a park. Perhaps there were water fountains!

It took some convincing, but we got her out of the forest. As I had predicted, we were in a medium sized park on the edge of the city. It seemed entirely empty. I wasn't sure of the day of the week, but most children would be at school around this time if it was a weekday.

Liana immediately rushed to a water fountain, taking her fill. I couldn't properly reach the button as I was, so she held it for the three of us cuckoolines to drink from as birds. Of course, the water had a metallic taste to it, but most tap water did. We were just happy it was fresh water. If they could use the darn thing, Rain and Bramble would drink from this instead of the river, I'm sure.

We followed Liana into one of the play sets so she could rest in the shade. We all hunkered down to sleep until she was ready after chatting for a few minutes.

What are you going to do with her? Bramble started the questioning.

I don't know yet. Keep her safe for now, after that I'm not sure.

I know exactly what you'll do. You'll stay with her. Until she dies of old age, most likely. You always do it, Stormy.

She needs my help.

Everyone does. It's an admiral trait, but just as much it's a flaw.

How is helping others a flaw?

It's a flaw when you let your own life pass you by. 50, 60 years may not seem long compared to ten thousand, but that is still I lifetimes worth of time that could be spent doing better things.

Yes, it's a lifetime. Those 60 years are worth more to her than to me, why not give them?

With that, we were done. Bramble curled up next to his sleeping wife.

He wasn't bitter or mean. He had real concern for me, and he wasn't entirely wrong. Counting the years so far I'd spent helping a single person at a time, it had been at least a thousand. A thousand years helping a dozen or so people. He was kind hearted, but I
was also stubborn. I curled up as a ferret underneath the Alvari's arm while she rested.

Published 4/10/19