Chapter 3 - Hello

I must have been falling for atleast five minutes now! This means I'm dead. Will I just keep falling forever? Is that what life after death is? And I never got to tell my best friend what he-

Something hit me with such force it threw me back up in the air, jumbling up all my organs: brains to my stomach, stomach to my head, lungs to my feet. The pain shot up from the back of my head and all down my spine and my ankles as my body made contact with it again.

Ok maybe it wasn't that painful that it felt like being injected an infinite amount of times all at once, more like falling off a bed onto the cold floor that had random, rigid shaped objects on it but it hurt more than that because my back was already sore. I must be crazy because there is no way a normal mind works like this.

I let out a giggle at my own thoughts until a hand reached out to me and helped me off whatever it was I was on. Once I was stood up and with my eyes open - when did they close? - I realised it was a net that I had landed on and the light was emitted from blue lanterns.

"Am I dead?" I asked the person that had helped me off once I'd caught my breath, as I stared up the way I had came down from.

"No" He stated boredly.

"How long was I falling for?" I asked him still gazing up into the sky.

"Probably about a few seconds" He informed as a matter of fact. I looked at him and before I could give him a quizzing look, my jaw dropped and my arms instinctly wrapped themselves around his strong figure (but not as muscular as the guy from up there) and burried my head in his chest. I had no regard for the restricted rules of my old faction back then and nor do I now.

"Liar" I mumbled into him causing him to chuckle and his chest vibrate as he wrapped his arms around me protectively.

"SECOND JUMPER! MELODY!" He called out before releasing me.

"Unless you want to change your name. It's a new story, your choice."

"Nah, I wanna make sure they all know who I am," I promise before he ushered me to someone called Lauren.

Once everyone was assembled, we were split into two groups: Dauntless Born with Lauren and Transfers with my brother who's name here is apparently Four and he works in the control room I think. I wonder why he changed it from Tobias to Four. I'll ask him later. Out of all things, he chose 'Four'. So creative. Not. Need to have a word with him about his name choice.

I look around as Four leads us away: One abnegation excluding myself, no amity transfers, so the rest are made up of Candor and Erudite.

"What a jerk" Christina mumbles after Four's scolding at her and warning us to keep our mouths shut. I'm pretty sure that doesn't include me.

"I guess he doesn't like to be laughed at" Beatrice replies. I don't have many memories of Four laughing but the ones I do have, I cherish like the memories of my mother hanging on by a thread. The only thing I remember about her appearance is her olive skin and black curly hair. I would remember her fully if I had a picture but that's not something Abnegation do.

We get lead into what's called the Pit through a set of double doors. Now I understand why it's called The Pit because that's the closest resemblance to it. I see people of all ages from children to adults but no elderly surprisingly. I push the dreadful thought to the back of my mind as we continue on through, knowing I'll come back to the mystery later.

"If you follow me, I'll show you the Chasm" Four waves us forward. He begins warning us about the Chasm but I zone out a little, too focused by the variety of water below us. Calm to my left, but snow white to my right, at combat with the rock.