Ch 18: The Rescue Team

It was probably the fastest that Adelaide had ever gotten ready. Even faster than the time that she had run away from home.

Hazardously, she tossed clothes across her room before piling them into a sack that she threw over her shoulder. She readjusted the ties of her boots before running down the corridor to the courtyard. Kayden had already retrieved her horse for her and was waiting, holding its reins. Adelaide smiled upon seeing Paint who shifted in excitement at her approach.

Like most of the stable horses, Paint was chestnut in color with a dark, finely-groomed mane of hair. He'd been cooped up for the last few weeks because of the storm, and he was clearly enjoying the extra room to move around.

Taking the reins from Kayden, Adelaide situated her sack on the back of her saddle before adjusting the long sword she'd been given by Jasper when she turned sixteen. She still wasn't great at using it, but she knew enough to defend herself if it came to that. She also wasn't too worried about getting into any dangerous situations. Not because they weren't going to happen, but she just wasn't thinking about it. Her full attention was locked onto getting Henry back. It didn't matter what stood in the way.

"Arthur," Kayden suddenly stated. Confused at the mention of her fake name, Adelaide turned to give Kayden a questioning look. He rubbed the back of his neck as he leaned into Adelaide and with the combined efforts of their horses, they were shielded from the view of the others. "I just thought I'd warn you that Jasper and I are the only ones who know about your true identity. Well, us and the doctor, who's been sworn to secrecy. We weren't sure if you wanted other knowing, so we haven't said anything to anyone."

Adelaide blinked several times as she processed the information. So, it would seem, she could still return to being Arthur if she wanted or she could go back to being Adelaide. It was a weird notion to consider. She had left Adelaide behind years ago. The idea of returning to her had always seemed impossible.

"I'm not sure yet," Adelaide finally responded. "I'll think about it, but right now I just want to focus on Henry. I'm sure everyone, too, doesn't need to be distracted by me actually being a girl."

Kayden offered a small smile and nodded. Adelaide returned the smile and, together, the two mounted their horses. The two then were left to wait for the rest of their group to get ready. Adelaide wanted to shout at them to hurry up, but Jasper seemed to have taken that at his job. He was circling them on his own horse, voicing complaints and orders that had the men moving at exceptionally fast paces. Adelaide wondered what was taking them so long, but figured they'd accounted for food and other supplies, while she'd just grabbed some change of clothes and her notebook. After all, her notebook went where she did.

In just a few minutes their party of ten or so was ready to go. Adelaide felt a small sense of nostalgia seeing that the faces going to retrieve Henry were the same who had initially brought him to Brittany. It seemed only fitting. They were his most loyal , and by the looks on their faces, they weren't too pleased about him having been taken. The group departed through the gates of Chateau de Suscinio at a fast pace that had the adrenaline rushing through Adelaide at accelerated rates. The wind felt good against her face and was also cooling for the fever she still hadn't quite recovered from.

Kayden road directly in front of her, with Jasper to her right, while the rest of the men circled around them. It was a formation they were accustomed too. Except, Henry usually occupied Jasper's spot. Whenever they left the confounds to the castle, this was the formation they automatically assumed. It was the most secure way to travel with those more experienced on the outside. True, Jasper and Henry were both well trained in sword fighting and combat, but their diplomacy status always set them as higher priorities. It was something Adelaide was aware of since she was first taken in by the Tudors. She knew, if it came down to it, the guards would protect Jasper over her, just as they would defend Henry over Jasper.