𝘃𝗶𝗶𝗶. chapter eight.

┍━━━━━━━★━━━━━━━┑
viii. CHAPTER EIGHT

STUPID BROOMSTICK POLISH

┕━━━━━━━★━━━━━━━┙

         "UGH! QUIDDITCH. I just don't understand what these boys see in it, it's a sport. It's meant to be played, not worshipped!" Lily complained, as she and Briar walked past the Quidditch pitch the next evening. The Gryffindors were practicing for the first Quidditch match of the term. It was Gryffindor versus Slytherin, and both teams were equally determined to win.

            Briar smiled as she thought back to the prior month, her and Lily couldn't even stand to be in the same room back then but now Briar found herself enjoying every moment she spent with Lily. Yet despite that, there was always an invisible barrier between the two girls. They were from different houses, and shouldn't get along. But they did, and Briar couldn't explain it. All she knew was that despite being a Muggle-born, Lily Evans was easier to get along with than any of the other pureblood girls.

         "Evans!" James Potter called out cheerfully. He was sitting on the grass in his red and gold robes, with his broom in front of him. There was some sort of a broomstick kit open, and he seemed to be servicing his broom. "Couldn't resist the sight of me in my Quidditch robes?"

        "Hardly," Lily muttered, as they walked past him. "Let me know once that Quaffle-sized head of yours has deflated a little bit."

          James sobered up instantly. "Hey, I'm sorry! Will you go to Hogsmeade with me, this weekend?"

          "No."

          "Why not?"

          "I've got studying to do. There's a Charms test on Monday."

           "But if you didn't, would you go with me?"

           Lily rolled her eyes slightly. "Probably. But it doesn't matter, because I won't. Just bugger off, Potter."

         Briar ignored their bickering, glancing around the pitch. Most of the Gryffindor players were taking laps, and she spotted Sirius Black among them. Despite not wanting to admit it, she couldn't help but think that he looked breathtaking, his raven hair was illuminated by the sun making him look almost angelic. She tore her gaze away, however, as a faint smell wafted towards her by the wind. She wrinkled her nose, she'd smelt it before.

        "What's that smell?" she asked Lily, interrupting her yelling at James.

         "What smell?"

        "That... odd, stinging smell. It smells like varnish or something."

         Lily took a deep breath and frowned. "I smell it too. Why?"