14. FRENCH FRIES please

Harieth

Ever so delicately, I fluttered my eyes open to behold a blurry vision of Christian walking up to me. The sun was bright and peeped its way into the room, radiating his appearance. My vision cleared up and for the first time ever, I watched a small smile curl up his lips. For that moment, I felt stuck, unable to look away from his face and as he drew closer, his smile broadened.

This has to be a dream. My subconscious warned but for the strangest and unknown reason, I liked this dream. I liked this Christian. I liked the fact the smile on his face enhanced his handsomeness. I liked the fact the scenery was beautiful and the fact it felt like every fibre in my body was at peace. Unable to move, I laid there and watched him slightly bend over me, about to whisper into my ear.

“Wake up sleepy head.”

My eyes opened and all it took was a nanosecond for me to discover I was back to the real world. As I sat up on the bed, I ran a hand through my mess of a hair while wondering what that little dream meant. Unable to decipher it right away, I looked around and was able to recall where I was. Just like my dream, it was a sunny morning except Christian was absent and I felt nothing like I had felt in my dream. Drawing in a deep breath and letting it go once again, finally, I made my way down the bed and on my two feet. Lazily, I took each step towards the door, down the hall and then the stairs in search of any sign of him.

I made sure to take a look into every room I walked past and only caught sight of him at the dining table having breakfast. His eyes seeming glued to the newspapers in his hands. Unknowingly, a faint smile surfaced on my face but was quick to disappear as I realised how silly I was being. One night can’t seriously be all it took for him to create a soft spot somewhere within my heart.

He lifted his eyes up and met mine.

“Wake up sleepy head.”

I recalled his words from the dream I had and was forced to instantly look away from him as a strange feeling took over. My brows barely narrowed at my immediate foolishness. I was acting like someone else and not like myself. Whatever this silliness was, it would have to be stopped. What happened was nothing more than an empty dream which will never take place in reality. There, I shift my eyes back to him as I make my way towards him but his sight had returned back to the papers in front of him.

I pulled a seat out and made myself comfortable on it before scanning the dishes laid out on the table. There were lots for a single person which wasn’t the least bit surprising to me. After all, I was used to this lifestyle. In one glance, I took notice of his attire. He was clearly dressed for work and the only thing he didn’t have on was his jacket. I also noticed he barely touched his food.

“Why bother sitting at the table if you’re not going to have breakfast,” I stated whilst looking away from him and helping myself to a slice of bread.

Neither did he utter a word in reply to my statement nor display the least reaction possible. Slightly, it angered me and just when I was at the verge of speaking up once more, he folded the paper into two as he got up on his two feet and picked up his jacket he hung over his chair. Two steps to my side, he placed the paper on the table in front of me. Although his presence by my side made me a little uncomfortable, I performed quite a good job at hiding that fact.

“The next time you step into my room, I won’t take it lightly with you.” He threatened before he was on his way out of the dining hall and I was left in solitary.

I could recall the last night and could also recall vividly, the dream I had. Not much added up and the fact I was starting to feel confined within an unexplainable feeling pissed me off the most. I stared down at the newspaper and my brows slightly arched at our wedding picture from the previous day displayed on the front cover and our topic hijacked the headlines. Dressed in the traditional white, I had smiled my best while my arms clenched onto the arm of my husband. A snort escaped my lips as I looked away from the image for a moment. One look and one would think we were truly in love. Hilarious.