Thirty-Two

♡♡♡

I don't even flinch when my door flies open, allowing an overly cheery Andy to enter. He raises his hands out to his sides, and for a minute I think he's about to take a bow.

"The time's come, Elena," he practically cackles, like the freaking wicked witch. If only he'd get squished by a house like in Oz.

"Do you really have to say it like that?" I cringe, wondering how many movies he's been watching with superheroes and villains.

"Get up," Andy says.

I don't have to hear him say it twice. He goes to grab my arm, trying to restrain me but I walk on, knowing where I'm heading.

The humid air hits me before I even walk outside. I'd hoped it wouldn't be like this for my last night. I always enjoyed the cooler nights with the hint of a light breeze, the ones that spread goosebumps up your arms. I vividly remember one summer, the first summer without mum. I was at the beach with Stacey, Carmen and Noah. It was our tradition but my brother had decided to join us last minute. I hadn't known before, but I soon learnt, when we all ran up to enter the water, that my brother hadn't ever swum in the ocean.

He stood at the edge, where the sand fell away to meet the water. I knew he didn't want anyone to see, but I could tell he was afraid. His toes were touching the water and every time they lapped at his feet, he'd flinch away. Stacey and Carmen were long gone, their laughs caught in the wind as they splashed each other further out in the ocean. I turned back to my brother, frowning.

"Are you alright?" I'd asked, reaching for his arm. He pulled away. He was at that age back then when it was embarrassing to hold your sister's hand.

 "I've never been in the ocean before," he said, not sounding afraid.

"There's a first for everything, right?" I grinned, walking further out until the water covered my thighs.

I was right then, there is a first for everything. My brother got in the water that day, and he loved it. He loved it so much that he complained about his jaw hurting from smiling later on.

Right now, I want to hold onto that feeling. I want to picture Noah complaining about his sore jaw as he laughs, rubbing it all the way home. I want to remember the way Carmen would create a road trip playlist, specifically for our beach adventure every summer and then she'd sing at the top of her lungs until she lost her voice.

A tear falls down my cheek when I feel Andy's hand push me hard outside. I almost trip over my own foot but I hold myself up, not wanting to fall down in front of a man as despicable as Andy Haswell.

I hear the words travel around the crowd like a wildfire spreading. Everyone turns to stare at me like they are about to witness the most exciting part of their lives. Like a public execution is worth viewing and not totally inhumane.

I'm standing over by the railing, leaning all my weight on my arms when I feel a soft hand landing on my back. Hunter leans into my ear, whispering quietly. "Get ready. Ridge will come to get you in a few minutes."

Before I can ask any questions, Hunter kisses my forehead and turns me around so that I'm facing him fully. "El, I just want you to know, that whatever happens, you deserve to have the best goddamn life," he says breathlessly, like he's struggling to catch air. "I just—you deserve so much more than what you've been given."

His eyes are magnetic and I can't seem to look away. I can't seem to find any words, either. I can feel the tears pricking at the corners of my eyes as I smile, awed at how lucky I am to have gotten to know him.