Chapter 18

For one thing, Solar was now relieved that Gempa had been brought under control, but it could have a better outcome because Bora-ra was holding the guy by the neck. As if it wasn't bad enough as it already is, Halilintar had recovered and was just awaiting orders.

"Where's Blaze and Ais?" Taufan demanded, stirring up hurricanes behind him.

The box-headed alien cackled. "They're gone! Attack, my lieutenant!"

Halilintar didn't respond physically, but she obliged through orders. As if Solar hadn't been confused enough for the day, this sealed the deal. He snapped to Thorn and her brother.

"Keep her busy! I'll try to get Petir out," Solar instructed. "Wait. That sounded weird—just do it!"

The pair of elemental siblings nodded in unison. Taufan summoned his hoverboard and created a vortex around the room, leaving only Solar's area intact. There was no telling where the lightning melee would appear, and they would take no chances.

Thorn summoned vines. The flora encased Solar in a protective chamber, though he doubted it would do much against lightning strikes.

Scarlet flashes appeared throughout the room, confusing just about everyone. Only Bora-ra seemed to be unfazed, though he was still holding Gempa by the throat. Strong enough to keep him in place, but also sufficient for him to breathe normally.

The first strike. It landed on Thorn, knocking her to the ground. Taufan bit his lip as she got up, frustrated by the fact that he couldn't help his sister now. Once he stopped, Halilintar will strike more frequently and things will worsen.

Solar worked his brain like a slave. There could be no mishaps. The war raged outside the vine cocoon, but he could only focus on the chamber ahead of him and his family inside of it.

Just a bit more time, he hoped.

The screams outside told him he had no more.

* * *

Both Ais and Blaze were dead.

Well, not entirely. They were drifting the void between life and dark, alive and dead at the same time.

Hello? Ais called, her voice echoing in the dark, endless chasm.

I can't see you, Blaze replied, his voice resonating throughout Ais's head.

Neither can I, Ais mourned. Where are we?

A spark of fire flared up, illuminating the space. There was no ground, there was no light. The only illumination originated from Blaze's fist, which was ablaze with golden flames. They were miles apart, but so close at the same time. Distance didn't exist. Life was optional. There was nothing but the eternal abyss.

What happened? The last thing the both of them remembered was a black hole, and here they were. Their thoughts were fuzzy. They were uncalculated. They were synchronized.

It was like they were the same person.

Bodies drifting towards each other, they were face to face. Ais's long hair had been shorn off, leaving short hair with a charred mess at the tips. Their movements matched, their minds united.

Blaze's fist extinguished. It was dark, but their eyes shone their individual shade.

Right hands reaching up, their palms met. There was no chaos, no calmness, only the instinct of survival remaining in them.

We can't die here, they thought.

Their bodies glowed white, piercing through the abyss, tearing shadows and darkness apart.

* * *

As if the chaos hadn't been accentuated thoroughly, things just had to get worse.

"You're all alone, boy," Bora-ra taunted. Solar had no choice but to turn his body stiffly, arms raised.

Sweat ran down his cheek. He was so close. Halilintar stood by Thorn's unconscious form, expression infuriatingly calm.

"Any last words?" Bora-ra sneered.

Solar swallowed. "As a matter of fact, yes." His finger glowed like the sun. "FUCK YOU!"

He turned around and fired at the glass tank, penetrating it and shattering the glass. Solar sped towards it and caught Petir before she hit the ground. Despite his brave attempt, Halilintar did not disappear. He was now tasked with protecting three unconscious people and somehow not let any harm come to his evil friend.

He can't stop this alone. He would need help. Cradling Petir's unconscious form in his arms, he could only glare at the earth elemental.

"Are you happy now?" Solar scorched. "I'm done trying to convince you. You're a fucked-up piece of shit, and you tried to kill your own sister."

Gempa rolled his eyes.

"Retrieve the body," Bora-ra instructed Halilintar. The electrical elemental disappeared in a blur of white and red.

Solar held Petir closer to his chest. Her skin felt so cold. Her heartbeats and breathing were faint. It was like she had died.

A barrier was raised behind him that blocked the lightning. Startled, Solar turned, only to see a shield crafted of metal ripped from the floorboards shielding him.

Solar turned to Gempa. Bora-ra hadn't applied force, but he was struggling on his own. With a primal scream and effort, his hand made its way towards the power watch and ripped it from his wrist, the watch clattering against the cold floor and next to Solar.

Tanah was back to normal, his expression a forced smile.

Solar's eyes widened.

"A terrible mistake," Bora-ra applauded. "You have forfeited your abilities. You shall be crushed here."

A light beam impaled Bora-ra's arm, forcing him to drop Tanah. Blood dripped from the wound as Tanah bolted towards Solar and Petir.

"Halilintar is still on the loose," Solar muttered.

Tanah nodded. He held Petir's limp hand, tears rolling down his cheeks. He couldn't believe himself. He had wanted to hurt her, to kill her.

Solar noticed that Tanah visibly avoided looking at his discarded watch. He understood that he was mortified of his own actions, and he wouldn't push it.

They noticed too late. The tip of the spear sped towards them, and they were in no shape to defend. Solar can't use his speed due to Tanah and Petir's condition. Just as it was about to collide, a wave of blue fire burned the spear and forced Halilintar to dodge.

The fire was cold, but it was also hot. Standing behind them, shielding them from the electric elemental form was none other than the twins themselves, but there was only one person.

"Am I too late?" Frostfire asked. His hair was brown but his tips were segregated into left and right. The tips on the right were ice blue, the left red. His right eye was red and the other blue. He was wearing a red turtlenecked shirt with glowing blue stripes.

The newcomer didn't stop there. A rifle appeared in his hands as he aimed it at a wall and fired. Halilintar sped towards him, but the bullet fired had landed on her precisely. It encased her in ice that glowed with a fiery aura.

"Who are you?" Tanah demanded.

The newcomer turned to them, smiling. They couldn't tell whether it was a mischievous one or a sincere one.

"My name's Frostfire," he said, hair momentarily turning longer and his bodly curves growing hourglass shapes. "I am also known as Ais and Blaze."