Chapter 1: The First Step

It was one of the most happiest times of her life. Everything was perfect.  She had a loving boyfriend, good grades. Nothing could go wrong. Of course, life went and said "Let's see what I can do about that."

Then, utter chaos.

It was her fourth year. As usual, she was in the library, looking up something, checking out a book, or just reading for the pure enjoyment. He had always been on the other side of the shelf, watching her between the books. She was so...... intriguing. The way her hair stuck up from behind the book. The way she sighed when she finished a good book . Of course, he wanted to ask her out, but she seemed as though she wanted nothing to do with him. Never the less, now was as good a chance as any.

"Ahem," he cleared his throat so that she knew he was there. She knew. She had heard it a dozen times in class. it made her heart skip a beat every time she heard it. But she kept her head down inside her book.

"What do you want NOW, Draco? To copy off of my herbology homework like everyone else?" He tensed. She was NOT in a good mood. But he had to do this, or he would never forgive himself. 

"No, no Hermione, that's not it at all. I wanted to kn-"

She cut him off. " If you can have my Charms notes?"

"Well yes, but there was another thing I wanted to ask you. I wanted to k-"

"if I can help you with your Divination homework?"

"Again, yes, but I also wanted to ask you if you wanted to know if-"

"I can tell you what a Thestral looks-"

Draco was just plain out frustrated. "WILL YOU LET ME FINISH?!" After he said that rather loudly, he got a lot of shushes from the other students.

By this time she was annoyed, but when he got all those shushes, she giggled a little, but not loud enough so he could hear. She looked up from her book. "Yes, I will let you finish, Draco. What so you want?"

He cleared his throat once more. "Hermione Jean Granger. Will you please meet me outside the tapestry on the seventh floor at 7:30 this evening?"

She was flattered and curious at this request. It wasn't very often that she got asked somewhere by a boy. Never actually. She took the opportunity. "Yes Draco, I will. Will there be a certain dress code?" 

He had to think about it. Then he got an idea. "Yes, there will be. Dress robes."

 Dress robes? she thought. Why dress robes? Oh well. I did get a nice dress for this year since it was on my list.... "Alright then, I'll see you then."

But as she left, Hermione had no idea that Draco was thinking two things. How wonderful tonight could go, and "What have I gotten myself into?"