Chapter 65

Walking through the halls in the light of day was a relatively easy experience, at least when compared to my past excursions at night. While the stress was still present, at least I was technically allowed to be outside of my common room.

I made my way to the Room of Requirement, careful to make sure no one was around as I approached the corridor. I stood in front of the wall, watching as the door swirled onto the wall as if put there by a paintbrush. With one last glance to make sure I was alone, I slid inside.

I had barely stepped into the room when I was embraced by a warm atmosphere and a pair of arms.

"Happy Christmas," Draco Malfoy murmured as I leant back into his arms, the door shutting soundly behind me. Safe. I smiled, letting my head rest on his shoulder while his arms were wrapped around my waist.

"Happy Christmas," I returned happily. Draco pulled away from me then, gray eyes illuminated by the fire on the other side of the room. I surveyed the room itself briefly. It was cozy but refined-looking, surely the taste of a boy who had grown up in a well-kept manor for sixteen years. All the furniture was dark wood, delicate carvings etched into the sides. Soft-looking gray pillows provided the cushioning. The fire crackled warmly, giving the room a warm glow and an earthy smell that seemed to be mixed with peppermint. It was Christmas, but in a refined way. It was so very-Draco like.

"I like it here," I said after a moment. "It's... Homey."

"I'll have to change it, then. I was most hoping to have you hate it, after all," he said dryly, and I let out a small scoff. Rolling my eyes, I started to move towards the couch when my legs were knocked out from under me. With a short gasp of surprise- and a laugh of amusement, I found myself bundled in the arms of my boyfriend.

"You git," I said fondly, hiding my face in the sweater he wore under his jacket- gray, I noticed. I liked how it matched his eyes. "I missed you."

He made a small scoffing sound I could feel in his chest. "You saw me earlier," he pointed out as he carried me to the couch, the warmth of the fire already heating up my skin. Well, the fire and the blush that had settled in my cheeks. I stared at him, my expression dry.

"But it wasn't you you. You didn't look like you," I clarified. Draco raised an eyebrow, looking at me with amusement.

"Are we being particular, then? Because you don't look like yourself right now, I'll have you know. Shall I throw you out and not let you in till you do?"

"That's rude," I said, smacking his arm when he grinned rougishly. "And I can't just wish the polyjuice potion off. So you'll have to wait." I smiled faintly as he set me back onto my feet, enabling me to sit down and curl up onto the gray couch. Draco shrugged, reaching over for something on the side table- a pair of mugs, I realized as he came to sit beside me, his tone smug.

"I can."

"You're lying," I said with a haughty tone, even as he handed me a drink. Hot chocolate, I noted with a faint smile. The Christmas drink of Christmas drinks. Draco looked over at me with an equally prideful expression, one he might've worn often in his younger years.

"I am not."

"You so are. It's rude to lie you know."

"I'm a Slytherin."

"Lying is not one of Slythern's traits! That is not a valid excuse," I huffed despite the fact that I was smiling now, and so was Draco, though he attempted to hide it by sipping from his mug. Eyeing him amusedly I sunk back into the cushions, holding the warm mug close to my chest and enjoying the way it heated my fingertips.