29. Sleeping With The Enemy

Do you know what's the most garbage feeling? It's coming home after a trip and not seeing your partner in crime for the next 8 days. They're off doing another freaking project out of the damn country! I have not been on my best behavior. Small fits.

"Lana handed over Secret on Tuesday. I told you it would get done." I pull the booklet from my bag. "I read over it. There were minor adjustments, but it is ready. This one is the killer." I also hand Eddie the Sleeping With The Enemy manuscript. "Complete."

As his disbelief takes over his face, a silent gasp parts his lips. "You're kidding." His voice comes as a whisper as his eyes zig-zag across the inked, front page. "Angel, this isn't due for another week." He flips through the pages. "How did you do this?" His circle lenses peer over to meet my proud grin.

"We broke up assignments. Then, I finished it off. One book left and this month's projects will be a thing of the past." I gather my hands over the dining table.

"I'm very impressed with your work ethic, Mrs. Hardin." Eddie sets the manuscript on the table.

"Thank you. We have a great team." My eyes catch sight of a couple coming in the restaurant. "Do we have anything due for early next month? Like the first week?" I ask, checking over after feeling someone watching me. 

Eddie continues to speak as I find Marcel glaring. Man, what the hell? Per usual, his eyes are cross-examining as his fingers tap dance on his lips. No wonder he didn't strike me right away – he cut his hair.

I give him a little wave, because I'm not that damn rude, but he is. He doesn't return the friendly gesture. Marcel gives his date a passive gaze, then sends me an aggressive one. Realizing I'm being picked apart, I pull hushed lips into my mouth as I straighten my posture.

"Have you made your decision?" Eddie grabs my attention away from the rude Englishman.

"Huh? Um." I look down on the table, then back over. Marcel finally engages with the pretty, thin chick across from him. "I haven't," I answer.

"So," Eddie clears his throat, taking my distracted behavior into consideration. I take a breath as I redirect my attention to him. "your contract is up at the end of July?"

"It is." I nod. "I like it here," I look over again; spying a smile on the girl's face. "but I'm still not 100%" With each passing word, the claim falls slower from my lips as I watch Marcel's hand reaching for the stranger. "committed in stay– I'm waiting on an important phone call back at the office." I unconsciously slap my hand against the table. I'm not sure if I was trying to grab Marcel's attention or if I was just... frustrated.

As my hand remains flattened against the table, I check my watch. I didn't grasp the time, but I know it's time to get the hell out of here. 

"I forgot I'm taking a call during my break in about 10 minutes. Can we head back?"

"Uh," Eddie watches me rise to my feet. 

Checking over his shoulder, he tries to figure out what has me in such a rush. When I see Marcel's eyes cut to Eddie's, I couldn't help but feel bad for him. 

"Certainly." He nods. Shit. Shit! SHIT! "I got the bill." My colleague grabs the paper from the table as he gets up.

"Thank you. I'll be outside." I snatch up my purse and begin walking towards the lovely couple.

With everything in me, God knows I want to say, 'Nice haircut' on my way out, but my morals won't allow it. 

As Marcel's date orders her meal, I open the side door and strut out of the quaint restaurant. Would you look at that? I have to pass his table on my way to my car. Marcel rests his elbows on the table, slowly rubbing his hands together as his eyes fall down my accentuated frame. I soak up each second as inhibition reveals itself in his face. Unyielding as always, I can't make out Marcel's eyes, but I discover hints elsewhere.