Murtagh Part 1

A/N I wrote the rest of the battle last night, but I wasn't able to post it because by the time I finished it was almost one in the morning. When I looked at it this evening I realized it was way too long to include it all as one chapter since it was like ten pages in Microsoft word. That's why I am posting it in two parts. 

Percy's point of view

After Ágrios and I started fighting the red dragon and its rider it became clear that they would be tough opponents to beat. We'd seen as Saphira and Eragon tried to fight them and they'd also been a challenge for them despite the fact that they had more experience than us. At first, we weren't sure what to do to help them but when Saphira and the red dragon stopped fighting for a moment Ágrios flew at the red dragon hoping to catch it by surprise while it was focused on Saphira.

Although he did surprise the red dragon it wasn't enough to bring the fight to an end. Ágrios was slightly smaller than it and that didn't really help matters. It was a challenge to keep hold of my sword as the two dragons fought. Ágrios only managed to give the other dragon a few minor wounds although I knew they would still hurt. Unfortunately, the other dragon had hurt Ágrios in return which meant I also felt my dragon's pain. I was sure I could heal him if we somehow managed to win this fight but at that moment our chances of winning didn't look good.

Eventually, Ágrios had to back off and it seemed the enemy rider took that as an opportunity to try and overwhelm me with a mental attack. Unfortunately, that was something I had almost no experience with. the information Hecate had given me told me what I needed to do to defend my mind, and Ágrios and I had practiced it a few times, but I'd never actually had to do it against an actual enemy until now.

When I practiced with Ágrios I usually tried to focus on someone I cared about but I had eventually realised that wouldn't be the best idea against a real enemy, but then again several of the people I care about aren't even in Alegasia so there was no way an enemy could find them. As the enemy Rider tried to get into my mind, I did manage to block him out at first, but it only seemed to get more difficult as the attack continued. It almost seemed like there might have been others helping him or something.

Finally, the mental attack stopped as Saphira made another attempt to defeat the red dragon. After they fought for a while Saphira eventually ended up slightly above the red dragon and I suspected that she and Eragon were now the ones being attacked mentally. Ágrios and I were about to rejoin the fight, but we stopped as Eragon did something that made me do a double take. He quickly cut the straps of his saddle that held his legs in place and jumped off Saphira's back.

As we saw him falling. I couldn't help but think that was reckless, but I wasn't really one to talk since I had willingly fallen into literal hell to protect Annabeth. Not long after he jumped off her Saphira dove to catch him. I soon understood why he had jumped off Saphira as he managed to cut the red dragon with his sword causing the dragon to roar in agony.

I saw as Saphira caught Eragon, but I also guessed that Eragon's plan hadn't gone as well as he'd hoped. Sure, he'd managed to give the dragon a painful wound but because Saphira had to dive to catch him they were now below the red dragon.

Although we weren't sure if we could really be much more than a distraction due to our lack of experience. Ágrios once again attacked the enemy dragon attempting to distract it if nothing else. At least if we kept it busy Saphira could ascend to where we and no longer be below the enemy dragon. As long as she was below it the red dragon could more easily defeat her if it managed to bite her neck.

At one point as Ágrios and the red dragon fought I realized that the dragon was about to breathe fire, I cursed in ancient Greek before quickly casting a spell to protect us. Why I hadn't thought to do that earlier I wasn't sure, but I had somehow managed to get by until now without it. We both knew it wouldn't do any good even if Ágrios could retaliate since we already knew that the enemy dragon and rider were already protected from fire.